Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I bought 2 male rats (Colby and Jack) from a breeder back in early February. They were about 5 weeks when I got them(They’ll be 1 in December). The breeder told me they were brothers and well handled.
They used to fight in and off as they got older so we got a bigger cage. It’s probably a little over 4ft in height, pretty wide, and plenty of space. They fought less when we upgraded the cage but now they’ve been at it in and off again. I’m not sure what to do. It’s mostly a lot of squeaking and sometimes it sounds like they’re banging around but they’re never actually attacking each other violently.
The past month or so Colby (he’s the smaller one) will randomly squeak at Jack. It usually for no reason. It’s if he’s comfortable and relaxing or if they’re on the bed and Jack is bothering him. But he’ll squeak with his mouth open and then go away or do it until Jack finally leaves him be. Jack is a lot bigger than Colby but he never seems to be bullying him. He’s usually trying to play or literally walking by and Colby gets irritated. For example I had them both in the bed and Jack would go by Colby and then Colby will run to another area on the bed or come running by me. It usually seems like playing until Colby just gets upset. I also notice during playtime Colby will always get on the bed with me or my boyfriend. He’ll still play on the grouch but always jumps on the bed no matter how many times I put him down.Does anyone have advice on what I should do here? They’re getting older so I’m worried this could be abnormal and I’d have to separate or neuter Colby. If there’s things and activities I could put in the cage that would help let me know too! I really want the separation to be a last resort. They usually are cuddled up with each other and spending time with each other in the cage. It doesn’t seem like they dislike each other.

sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds like normal rat play. Rats like to tussle a lot like kittens or pups. Pouncing, squeaking, wrestling, jumping, are all pretty normal. The only thing that should worry you is if one rat draws blood on another, up to that point it's just play.

Also you said he jumps up to the bed and you have to put him back down so I should warn you every boy I've ever had loves to be tall. If it's high up and they can climb there then 100% they MUST get up there to see if they can climb higher than that. The top of the double critter nation cage is a fascination for them. Constant trying to get up there. So...good luck with keeping him off. 😅

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like normal rat play. Rats like to tussle a lot like kittens or pups. Pouncing, squeaking, wrestling, jumping, are all pretty normal. The only thing that should worry you is if one rat draws blood on another, up to that point it's just play.

Also you said he jumps up to the bed and you have to put him back down so I should warn you every boy I've ever had loves to be tall. If it's high up and they can climb there then 100% they MUST get up there to see if they can climb higher than that. The top of the double critter nation cage is a fascination for them. Constant trying to get up there. So...good luck with keeping him off. 😅
That makes sense!! Iva had a lot of rats but mostly girls and the boys I’ve never had multiple. The boys have now are definitely giving me run for my money 😂😂 At this pint it’s his bed too lol.
Thanks so much! I just get worried with the open mouth squeaking. I also think I’ve seen fur being pulled out but it could’ve been normal shedding or scratching. Do you think they’ll grow out of it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest I am just getting the impression that it’s just rats rattin‘ around.It’s normal for them to play fight a lot and rats often like to create drama by squeaking and running and hiding.They are doing what comes naturally,enjoy the show!
Thank you! They just scare the **** out of me sometimes haha

·
Registered
Cloud (Dark Phased Pearl) and Dew (American Mink)
581 Posts
They might grow out of it a little as they get older, but likely they will continue to play fight.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That makes sense!! Iva had a lot of rats but mostly girls and the boys I’ve never had multiple. The boys have now are definitely giving me run for my money 😂😂 At this pint it’s his bed too lol.
Thanks so much! I just get worried with the open mouth squeaking. I also think I’ve seen fur being pulled out but it could’ve been normal shedding or scratching. Do you think they’ll grow out of it?
They may or may not. Two of my current four turned into lazy potatoes that rarely play. The other two are still hyper little blurs. Polar opposites but each pair I've gotten so far was from a different breeder so it could be genetics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts