Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So i'm moving my neutered male Tyrion into a cage with my older male Bobby who has HLD. I first noticed Bobby struggling to get up ladders so i took them all out and put everything on the floor of the cage (it's a huge cage so lots of room even without climbing space and extra shelves). But now that Tyrion is moving in, I know he'll want to climb and that his favourite houses are sputnicks hanging from the roof of the cage. I'm worried about Bobby trying to climb if i make it possible and then hurting himself but I also don't want Tyrion whose still fairly young at 1 and a half to not be able to have any fun while in his cage.

Their introductions are going so well and i'd like for them to be living together by the end of this week but i'm stuck on this one if i'm honest o_O

Any help much appreciated!

2.jpg

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
With HLD just hang everything like normal and put ramps back in. Hang extra hammocks as catch nets. It's important to keep him active for as long as possible.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okey dokey, thanks i'll do that now :) . I did notice his leg dragging and almost getting caught in the ladder though, should i cover it with fleece of will that make it more difficult for him to climb it?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Fleece would probably be a good option for him as he can get his claw into it to pull himself up, and its nice and soft for body parts being dragged.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you both so much for the help, i have some new hammocks coming in the post hopefully tomorrow so that's good. :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Nice one! And you can always buy some fleece scraps for makeshift hammocks/corner shelves or make fleece ropes if there are any fall areas that need a gap filling. Hope your old guy does well in his new set up. Even though they struggle I think its important to keep them as active as possible - indeed it can help extend their lives.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea! I will try to keep him as active as i can, he still attempts to run when i get him out to free range so he's got the motivation at least! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts