Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't like how they've tried to make it look mean with the red eyes :?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree with DonnaK. They have tried to make it look mean and scary. But besides that, I think it would have taken a while to make it because it's so precise.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
To me he looks like he was interrupted in the middle of a really good nap. Not scary at all! Too bad black rats don't have red eyes! I would love one :D

Cute as that cake is, I wouldn't be able to eat it. I mean, how could I eat a rat's head? o_O;

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would be able to eat it. It actually looks good, but kinda looks like a little bit of pottery or something.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
DonnaK said:
I don't like how they've tried to make it look mean with the red eyes :?
Since he was a member of the naval wharf rats, I really doubt they were looking at the rat as a cute, loveable pet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I saw them make a custom "rat cake" on a show on "The Food Network," called "Ace Of Cakes." It was for a couple from Baltimore, and it was a wedding cake. I guess that there are a lot of rats in Baltimore, so the couple felt it symbolized their home. (The rat was on top of a manhole cover, BTW.) It was a much ~fatter~ rat than this one...they said they were going for, "Templeton after the fair." :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i made my rats a pancake the size of a quarter last week and they enjoyed it rather greedily. fabulous cake, but hey, we can't really help the red-eyed sewer rat image; sewer rats and pet rats are practically 2 different species.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Is that really true? I always thought that, since they were both "Norwegian" Rats, that they were pretty much the exact same thing, and that, for instance, if a young wild rat got inside, I could just as easily trap him in a live trap, and then move him into a quarrantine cage, and keep him as a pet.

Do you know what some of the differences are?

Not that I ever see them, but I guess I'd better NOT just walk up to a wild rat and offer food and love...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just read a book (I cant remember the title or author of it now though, it was about a month ago) on rats, in the beginning of it, it said that its illegal to gain a wild rat as a pet. It also said that wild rats hold diseases and can be passed on from the rat parents to the rat childrren :? Whether this is true or not I dont know.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Wow! I'm surprised to hear that it's illegal! Yeah, my vet told me that I didn't have to worry about "exchanging illnesses" with rats, either way...she said that mainly, rats catch rat diseases.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you put a cake in front of me, I'm going to eat it.

Holly, I believe the difference is the same as a wild dog and a domesticated dog? You can't just take in any wild dog and expect it to make a good pet. I think the same applies for rats. The rats we own have been domesticated over many, many generations.

·
Registered
638 Posts
That makes sense. And then, I would guess that a lot has to do with the wild dog or rat. Some would probably accept domestication well, and enjoy the "luxuries" of being well taken care of, and probably others would never be "tame."

·
Registered
981 Posts
You are most likely right.

I should probably mention that everything I said was just a guess and I don't actually "know" anything beyond the fact that at some point rats were domesticated by the British however-long ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts