Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: "rat calcualtor" ?

my big cage can apperently hold up to 7 rats and my small one up to 3 although i would never put more than 3 in my big cage!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've made this a sticky as it has useful links and it will make it easier for people to find in future.

·
Registered
181 Posts
http://health.ratzrus.co.uk/cagecalc/

That calculator also takes into account the shelf space. It might give you a more realistic calculation.

According to the rattycorner calculator, my new Martins cage (24Wx14Dx60H) can hold 5 rats. According to the UK Fancy Rats calculator, it can hold 5.83 rats (so nearly 6). According to the ratzrus calculator, link above, it can hold 5 or 6 maximum.

But, according to the rattycorner calculator, my 34Wx22Dx19H cage can hold up to 4 rats. And on the UK Fancy Rats calculator, it says 4 rats as well. However, the same cage, according to the ratzrus calculator, can only hold 2 because it only has 1 small shelf and the bottom floor space.

So it's height isn't really much of a factor. You can have a seriously tall cage and it could say you can keep 10 rats in it, but if you have only 1 shelf and the floor space, that isn't a realistic number. It's all about the wise use of space and floor area.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The ratsrus calculater says that my cage is too small for one adult rat, with 2.25 square feet of floor space and three small levels.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rodere said:
So it's height isn't really much of a factor. You can have a seriously tall cage and it could say you can keep 10 rats in it, but if you have only 1 shelf and the floor space, that isn't a realistic number. It's all about the wise use of space and floor area.
I think the first calculator at least clarifies that it requires 'wise use of space'.

ManBeard, how tall is your cage? Three small levels are good for sleeping and such, but running requires big levels, ie, the base...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Remember... just like it says on the Ratty Corner website, you owe it to your pets to give them a comfortable and happy home, not just the minimum they can survive on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ManBeard, how tall is your cage? Three small levels are good for sleeping and such, but running requires big levels, ie, the base...[/quote]

There are pictures of it in the thread I made titled "New(ish) cage for Skurge and Plague" on this forum.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ManBeard said:
There are pictures of it in the thread I made titled "New(ish) cage for Skurge and Plague" on this forum.
Hrm... I'm always a bad judge of size from pictures, but I'd wonder if it's not too small...

They will get bigger....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ill be expanding it eventually, not that that will do much for the floor space. Maybe I could find a way to join another cage adjacent to the first?

·
Registered
814 Posts
hhmm well one cage cal said I can old 6 rats, the next said 7 and the last one said 9 max lol, I don't plan on having more than 5 in there at once lol I like the shelf area seems a little more logical :p. That one also said I could have 8 rats lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It also, in reality, depends on how much time your rats spend outside the cage. If you take them out and let them roam quite a bit then that's also something to think about.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I think the general rule of thumb is a minimum of 2 cubic feet per rat. I think these calculators vary based on how the area is distributed - height vs width, etc.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.