Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Yesterday i noticed Thea was trying to eat her food pellets but couldn't seem to get them into her mouth. I decided to take her to the vet and fed her some baby food but even then she licks at it but doesn't eat any of the chunks.

By the time i got the vet the next morning, she had a lump on her neck. It was all the vet would focus on even when i asked him about her teeth he just 'hmmm'd' and prescribed some anti-biotics! He was clearly nervous of her and seemed to think she would bite him and even said that just to look inside her mouth i'd need to have her put under which seems like an unnecessary risk for such a thing. He didn't give any advice as to her not being able to eat so i'm still just feeding her baby food. She eating it no but she'd really struggling with it.

I decided to look inside her mouth myself and it looks all wrong in there. One top tooth is longer than the other and i think they might even be leaning in the wrong direction. I wonder if the lump is because of an injury caused by the teeth themselves.

I'm getting no help from the vet and i'm stressed out of my mind watching my girlie try and fail to eat her food. Please help!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you have another vet go there and see if they could trim her teeth. Also you could make lablock mush. Just soak the lablocks in water until they are mushy. That way thea is getting the same nutrients.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I am going to hope you have another option at a different vet, this one is obviously useless. A rat is much more likely to struggle to get away then bite if you try to open their mouth.

Where is the lump? Were all 4 of her incisors there or did one seem broken off?

Malocclusion of teeth can occur from an injury where a tooth snaps or the jaw is injured causing the misalignment of the teeth. There is also age-related where the ligament holding the front of the bottom jaw weakens and the teeth stop aligning. Rats teeth are made so that when a rat bruxxes it grinds the opposing incisor down. These are aligned teeth. If something happens so that one or more incisors isn't grinding down properly on the other you can end up with overgrown, curling around teeth. I have a special little malocclusion girl at home, who is going to need trims (or more properly burring) at the vet (under very light anesthesia) every 3 weeks. Sometimes if its a fractured tooth, a few trims until the tooth grows back is all that is needed until it self-corrects...other times you will need to trim those teeth yourself or at your vets. Clipping isn't advised as its too easy to fracture teeth, causing a whole new round of issues and possible infection and pain.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lilspaz68, you were spot on. Yesterday her abscess burst and i had no choice but to take her back to the same vet practice but luckily another vet was on duty and she's better with rats and listened to what i had to say about her teeth. She checked them there and said they are overgrown and so she was put under to have some dental work and to have her abscess thoroughly cleaned. She was only able to grind down one incisor and so the other had become overgrown and was digging in and causing the abscess!

She's back home now, still on baby food since the vet said the area will still be tender for a time, but other than that she's doing well. She's on two different anti-biotics, inflacam for the pain and swelling as well as hibiscrub to flush out the wound.

Thanks for your reply, she'll be going back in a few days to see how she's healing! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts