Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at the grocery store the other day, and in the pet supply aisle I saw some carriers. Of course, they were for cats and dogs, but the smallest ones looked like they may be good for my girls. The smallest was probably made to accommodate a chihuahua. I really like the idea of getting one of these to transport my girls as opposed to just using a clear plastic carrier. It seems like it's more breathable, darker, and would be less traumatic for them since it's of a decent size and I could probably fit some of their toys in their, perhaps a small hammock, etc. The only thing I'd worry about would be that they could squeeze through the metal grating on the door or through the little plastic air holes on the side. Does anyone have experience using these types of carriers? I also think it wouldn't be half bad to use it as both a carrier and a play area for them when not in use. That way they'll get used to it and enjoy being in it as opposed to be forced in and out of it when it comes time to go on car trips or to the vet.

EDIT: I also feel like it might be a good idea to do the pet carrier because it's solid plastic instead of crushable canvas. In your experience, do rats prefer one over the other (or do you prefer one over the other for safety, comfort, convenience, etc)?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I have both a hard and a soft carrier. The soft is easier for things like trips to the vet and such when I've someone helping me. It does have a chew-out risk, and can get soiled. My hard carrier is much easier when I'm alone or when I'm moving. Both filter out light so are comfortable, but hard ones are easier to carry on a strap imo. They're also harder to escape and once I was nearly in a car accident while driving home from a vet and my poor babies were thrown from the seat (strapped in) to the floor. If it was a soft carrier, that could've gone very very bad.

How big are the holes? Anything bigger than a quarter is gonna let any rat through, smaller would depend on gender/age.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts