Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my two males neutered, and the next 3 days were long and exhausting. They then settled down and became their loveable selves again.

But recently my largest rat Shin has started making this sound I've never heard before. I tried to look it up, but nothing I saw matched this noise. It's reminds me of a dove "cooing", its not a clicky sound like a chicken just a calm repetitive cooing.

He still grooms, eats, drinks and plays with Yuki. He has only made the noise two or three times and all the times he's been on my shoulder or my stomache and will do it for 5 to 10 minutes.

Just due to I've never herd it before or can find it on the internet I'm a little concerned but at the same time don't want to jump the gun and assume the worst. I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what it is.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Any untoward noises are often the beginnings of a URI. He may coo for a day or so then it will get nasty. :( Take him to the vet for abs.

Why was it 3 days of **** after their neuter surgery? Were their complications? Did the vet send them home without pain meds?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah Ok, I'll schedual an oppointment ASAP.

After the surgery, they kept going at their stiches constantly, Shin would even grab hold and try to pull them out making himself cry. And Then their personalities showed their extreams. Shin became this giant baby that just cried and cried for a belly rub and we couldnt leave him alone or he'd have a tizzy fit with the stitches. And Yuki became so aggitated with it all he wanted nothing to do with Shin and would even attack him. We put a plate in between them in their small cage and they both called down when they couldn't see each other, but Yuki then ate through the paper plate just to bite Shin.

But by 4 in the morning on the third day I guess they were feeling batter cause they both just curled up on my lap and went to sleep. Thank goodness.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
The vet didn't send them home with pain meds did they? Pain management for 1-2 days is usually enough so that they don't pull at their stitches or be in a lot of pain. I wish more vets knew this, but sadly a lot of them out there will say stupid things like "Rats don't need pain meds, they don't feel pain" :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went and asked before leaving if I could get something either an antibiotic or a simular drug since there are no cones that size, he said they didn't have any for rats wich I find strange since they do neuter ferrets, rabbits and hamsters you would think they would have something for rats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts