Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased two 1 month old rats from someone who had an accidental litter. One of them appears to be very dehydrated (skin snaps back very slowly). I’m a first time rat owner and can’t find much on the topic. I haven’t seen her touch the water bottle once and the only one that really touches it is her sister.
i figured out she’ll take water if it’s on my finger, but it’s such a small amount it doesn’t do much. Plus i can’t give her water by hand every time she’s thirsty.
I’ve also noticed that she doesn’t eat much either, though I’m not sure if it’s just stress due to moving to my house from the other persons. I’ve only see her eat a single carrot that’s pretty much it. I know she may just be eating while I’m not looking, but I’m just worried.
Does anyone have any advice on this?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Is she interacting with the other rat? Playing? Chasing? Do they cuddle together?
Get her checked by a vet to make sure she doesn't have any genetic issues that could be causing this. Try giving her water in a bowl, rather than the typical bottle. They have some that hook into the cage bars so the rats can't move them around.
Try feeding her some warm oatmeal, either from your hand or a spoon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is she interacting with the other rat? Playing? Chasing? Do they cuddle together?
Get her checked by a vet to make sure she doesn't have any genetic issues that could be causing this. Try giving her water in a bowl, rather than the typical bottle. They have some that hook into the cage bars so the rats can't move them around.
Try feeding her some warm oatmeal, either from your hand or a spoon.
Thank you! She cuddles with her sister pretty much all the time! I’ll see if she’ll drink water from a bowl. I’ll also see if there are any vets around that I would be able to take her to Tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've heard adding a tiny bit of apple juice to their water can get them drinking when they're ill, maybe that would help? fingers crossed for your girl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts