Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here is the deal. My rat Mishka died tonight. She fell and broke her spine, paralyzing herself. I rushed her to the vet and put her down. Most painful thing I've ever had to do.

Here is the main issue. Her playmate, Katyusha, does not play well with others AT ALL. I've got 2 other boys and have tried to introduce them (taken all the proper steps, she just won't socialize) to her, and she went ape **** on them and tried to murder them. She's done this multiple times. What do I do? I want to get her a friend, but I also want her to not murder her friend...

Help? I'm pretty emotional right now, so I can't think straight about what I should do. Any help?

PS: I'm getting Miskha's ashes put into a animal urn, and then I got a small necklace to put some in so she's always with me. She was very special to me, even though she was only 8 months old, and her presence helped me in some dark times in my life.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Although it is best for rats to be with other rats, sometimes it just isn't to be. When I had rats when I was younger, I didn't know they should be with other rats so I had four single rats over 11 years. The 1st one met an untimely death at school after I had her for less than a year, but the others lived long lives as singles. Just love her and be her friend. She'll be grieving the loss of her friend too and will need lots of company. You may find that she gets even more attached to you than she was before. Hand in there.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
How old is she? And is she in good health? It may be worth spaying her if she's not already as it can help settle them down especially if there's something like policystic ovaries triggering her grumpiness.

Also how have you introed them in the past, often done wrongly or when you don't read the signals well it can fail.

Finally how is she in herself now, some rats grieve badly ( which makes getting her with a rat friend urgent) others don't at all and most fall somewhere in between.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts