Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my babies since October and they're such a joy. They are both so loving and happy little boys and give lots of kisses. However, one of them seems to not like to be outside his cage much. He's better when I take him out of the cage in a blanket, but he still fear poops (sometimes messily) and prefers to burrow inside fabrics. When I take him out for free time, he does explore a bit, but likes to have burrowing material and prefers to stay there if there is some available.

He's most relaxed in the cage and often chatters when I'm near and of course when I stroke him as he lays on the fleece He also wrestles with my hand and is a big mommas boy. Is this shyness just his personality or is this something we can work on? I just want him to have a good quality of life and make sure he doesn't get bored or sad. My other baby adores being handled and often tries to get out of the cage as soon as I open it lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My rats were rather shy at the begining, specially when out of the cage. What I did was, I went very slowly with them.
In the very begining, I never allowed them run alone in a big part of my bedroom. I would take a small area and let them explore that area, and slowly, I allowed them to explore further and further. Right now they walk in rather a big part of my room.

I've seen in the forum some users suggesting that you remove things they can hide in, to encourage them to explore, play and have fun. However, I didn't try that, so I can't recomend it myself.

I wish you the best of luck, though!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts