Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly I apologize for any bad grammar or spelling, this is an emergency and I do not have time to proofread.

I currently have 3 rats, Cookie Dough, Bart, and Dexter, I introduced Bart and dexter to Cookie Dough 3-4 moths ago and there was little to no fighting between Cookie and Dexter. However Bart and Cookie had some fights and a little blood drawn from Bart however nothing serious. From what I saw Bart was the main attacker but Cookie would bite harder. That was when I was first introduceping them and they get along fine now, or so I thought. I have seen them cuddling and hanging out with no problem, they did fight a bit but I assumed it was just play-fighting (it was apparently not). The issue arose about 15 minutes ago when I saw cookie with a large cut on his neck. It is in the side and it is not bleeding very badly, but it is large and not too deep, but deep. It dose not seem to bother him, I immediately grabbed him and looked at it bout he didn’t seem to mind, he is still eating normally and I removed him from the cage with the other two rats. It also seems important to note that I found a scab on his nose a few days ago which could have been a bite, but I assumed it was an abscess and was planning on calling the vet as soon as they opened on Monday. I however lost my phone and was not able to ( I found it today after the vet closed). I put him into a separate container with a clean towel and some snacks, and he seems fine, is eating some watermelon, however he is bruxing a bit. I also feel I should say that I am not positive Bart did this but I did see them fighting earlier, got into the shower, and the saw the cut when I got out.

He is bit able to go to a vet at this moment because there are no small animal emergency vets within 5 hour drive, but I am planning on calling the only small animal vet in the city at 7 am when it opens Tommorow to get him an emergency appointment. Another important fact is that he is currently in painkillers for his arthritis as prescribed by his vet curentry so that could be contributing to his lack of pain signs. So rat people of the internet, what should I do to help him, I am already watching him all night but anything else I could do would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
I wouldnt separate him as he will get depressed and the fights could get worse when you put him back.Rats usually heal very fast so I would just keep an eye on it and watch out for signs of infection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts