Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I thought I was just seeing things, but I noticed this keeps happening so now Im wondering...
Everytime I open the cage door my rats get excited. Anna, my newest and still child-aged rat's eyes always seem to change color when the cage door opens. I notice they turn very, very bright red. By the time I grab her out of the cage and we start playing they are back to their normal blackish color, but what causes them to be so red? IS this normal in rats I've never seen my other girls do this.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
There's a black-ruby variant of rat eyes. Our Amelia had jet black eyes, they actually looked greenish in sunlight... but they would occasionally flash stop light red. To some degree it's a trick of the lighting, but I suspect that she may have had some control over it too.... It tended to happen more often when she was upset or excited... or maybe that's when her eyes were open widest?

It really was freaky though... One night I found her standing on my sleeping daughters head flashing her eyes at me... I could have written a horror movie centered around that image alone.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My Pastoolio has the same thing with his eyes. Under certain lighting they will be red, but under regular lighting they are completely black. As Rat Daddy mentioned, the same thing will happen with Pastoolio. Usually if he scared, unsure, or something new it happening they would flash red in the light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts