Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after taking the plunge and getting the ingredients for Suebee's mix today... I realized I had a bit too much food... then the idea came up of selling it online (other rat mixes I have seen are disgustingly overpriced) to help others out that don't have the time or supplies to make a mix. I wouldn't have to worry about my mix going bad if I am constantly getting rid of batches. Then I thought, what the ****... i'm a chef, I can make a bunch of great foods and treats specifically for ratties... being that I work in a kitchen I have commercial size equipment and access to very fresh produce and other foods. I have web design experience and I could open an online store fairly easy... I will definitely have to do some homework, and the restuarant won't be open for another month, but i'll keep you all up to date with the idea. Just a few questions though, how many rat owners here would purchase food and treats here if they were fairly priced and I offered to donate some proceeds to a rescue center of my choice?

·
Registered
981 Posts
To be perfectly honest, my batch of Suebee's lasts me months. And treats are easy enough to come by, so I wouldn't see any personal need for it. But don't let me stop you, I'm just one guy. There might be a market out there.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
if i could find a good mix and healthy treats for a good price i would certainly buy it.i'm one of those people that don't have the time to be hunting all over town for ingredients for the type of mix i would want. i would most certainly buy from you if your product was good and prices fair.

·
Registered
293 Posts
cool idea would be to take ideas from people for blends too. or special order blends. might be too time consuming tho haha. good idea, not sure if i'd buy it online, not much of an online shopper, but its possible. the treats may be.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My only concern would be making sure nothing goes stale in transport. It's a very cool idea ;).

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would def. buy a premade mix from you!
I can't go all over town looking for ingretants I couldn't just find at one health store... annoying!
I bet there would be a good enough market to consider doing it; maybe try it out for a while to decide if you really like making it for other people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would definitely be interested, I don't have the time or know-how, I think if you did Paypal payments you would be able to protect yourself financially.
Do you have any tips for treats for the lil ones?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Freshness won't be an issue... if infact I were to do this it would be a perfect excuse to by a foodsaver and dehydrator (fruits and veggies??)... :twisted:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Awww Dang!
I was just going to suggest a foodsaver.
(tho I recommend the black and decker variety. just as good for half the price.)

A

·
Registered
981 Posts
You know I was just thinking, if you had some kind of *assorted* treat package that'd be kinda cool. That way I would have a good variety of treats in only one package.

I have a dehydrator! One thing to note is that dehydrated foods *will* still go bad after a time. It's just a much, much longer time. Freeze dried foods will last near-indefinitely, though, but the price of a freeze drier is around $5000. No thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts