Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the hardest time getting my rats to eat anything that is actually good for them. They would rather starve than eat the block food. The only things I can get them to eat is Reggie Rat. They basically eat everything in it other than the black little log looking things. If they had their choice they would just eat frozen mixed veggies and dog food. The oldest didn't have the best diet in the world when he was with the hoarder she basically fed him whatever. The youngest was on block food, but has decided now that he would rather starve than eat it. Is it ok to feed them this if they aren't eating the little black things in it? Is it even healthy? Also, they are obsessed with dog food! If I let them out they run right over to the dogs dish and look to see if anything is left. Even worse is my dog (boston Terrier) leaves a few pieces in there now all of a sudden. He's eating Beneful healthy radiance food if that helps.

Also about snacks, what do your rats really love as a snack? Mine hate yoggies for the most part. Every now and then they will actually eat them. They love spinach, corn, bananas and that's about it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Beneful is basically junk food (for rats and probably the dog too.)

All rats are stubborn about their food. If they know we'll give in and give them something else, or that they'll find dog food later they'll eat only what they want to.

We have to be more stubborn than them.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was as stubborn as I could get without being cruel to them. I put up the dogs dish before I let them out. I got rid of all junk food and extra treats for a week. I replaced their food with the pellet food for 3 days and they didn't so much as touch it. They actually got nippy and went after fingers. After 3 days of them not so much as touching the other food I gave up. I only put 2 chunks in each bowl and both of them didn't even have a nibble on them. They drank water like crazy, but refused to eat. I can't let my ratty's go 3 days without food! You would think they would have gotten hungry enough. I even tried to soak the nuggets in soy milk which they love and they wouldn't touch them.

As for the dogs food, my dog has major GI issues and this is the only food that doesn't upset his stomach after trying close to 100 different kinds of foods over the years. The vet said it's fine as long as I suppliment with extra protein in his diet which I do and as long as he doesn't loose a ton of weight or gain a ton of weight. Well he's back to loosing weight again and refusing to eat. I've even tried home cooked diets for him and it all upsets his stomach.

Anyways, how good or bad is the Reggie rat food for them?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Reggie rat food is a bit bad in genreal but worse cos it encourages selective feeding like urs are doing by not eating the log shaped foods

Mine would not eat food for ages until i put salads in there then they would eat the salad then the nuggets - mine were on reggie for the first 1/2 weeks with me..after not eating the nuggets for 4 days they started to - Keep giving them normal amounts of fruit and veg sooner or later they will eat the nuggets
Jess x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts