Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of good sites to look at the color genetics in rats (as in what genetic coding goes with each color and marking variety and how they are inter-related)? I've looked on the RMCA and AFRMA websites and although the AFRMA website shows good photos and descriptions of colors, it doesn't mention anything about how the colors are related to one another or the genetics behind the colors.

If anyone knows of any good links or even a book, that would be awesome.
Thanks for your time and help!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I came here to suggest some of the sites moonkissed did. XD Oh well, I still have this one: http://www.virturatz.com

Yes, it's actually a game, not a real life educational genetics site, BUT it's how I memorized rat genetics due to the visuals. It's really hard to picture how all the genes interact without visuals, for me at least. I'm fairly certain it is very realistic, though since it's based on Australian genetics, things like "high white" markings work differently as megacolon doesn't exist there (as far as I know) and dumbo and Siamese don't exist over there either.

Don't know if you'll find it as useful as I did, but maybe if someone else comes looking for genetics info, they might see this thread and appreciate the game as much as I did. ^_^

Genetics are fascinating!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I really need to start a save folder with all of the links you listed and add some as I find more.

I'll check out the genetics game... Not that I need another online game to play around with. lol. There used to be a ball-python virtual breeding game that I would play.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question for you guys: Are there any hard-copy books around that have very good photos of colors / patterns in rats ? I know color varies so much on monitors and sometimes it can be hard to ID colors via looking at pics on the web. I have hard-copy books for all the other animals I keep as pets (various reptiles, cats, etc.) which all have great color photos to use as references, it would be awesome if there was such a book for rats.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
hmm Not that I know of. I can ask around my breeding groups to see if they know of any.

I agree it is super hard to tell. I think worse is that there is alot of different names and standards depending on where you live and/or what u follow. I have seen pics of the "same color" on two different sites that look nothing like one another.

If there isnt a book like that there should be...hmmm lol

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to dig and find out... It was a LONG time ago... like close to 10 years ago, so it could have very well been the infant version of that game.. The only aspect I remember about it was that you started out with two "normals" and bred them together until you lucked up and got a "morph" (pastel I think), then you sold those and used that money to buy other morphs.

Moonkissed- I know what you mean.. I have definite IDs on some of my rats' colors because I purchased from a breeder, but even those don't look like some of the "examples" you see online. I know t hat color can vary in shade even within one color, but different clubs do call them different things as well, which just makes it worse. I have a Russian Cinnamon that looks a lot lighter than pics of other cinnamons I've seen, but part is due to him being "Russian" and the other part is just color variation within cinnamons (and coat texture because he is a velveteen). I also have a beige that doesn't look totally like other beiges I've seen and my Russian dove is a different shade than some I've seen of those too. Some of these colors (the Russian ones) are so close, I have no idea how breeders ID their litters when they have baby fur.

As long as rats have been kept, I find it hard to believe there isn't a guidebook somewhere.. maybe one with rats and mice? I know that you can buy a guide from the AFRMA, but I don't think it includes color photos (could be wrong on that). It would be hard to gather pics for one though, as I understand most good breeders only work with a handful of colors.. I guess it would have to be a collaboration or something chaired by a whole club so they could gather photos of examples at their shows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts