Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. so I'm worried about my sweet rosebud. Two nights ago, I woke up to the rats shreeking.. I thought they were fighting so I jumped up to see what was going on.. Rosebud was on the ground level, by himself, spazzing out.. darting all over the floor.. climbing up the side of the cage.. climbing down.. aggressively chewing on a toy.. in kind of a spazzy way.. then going to obsessively groom his tail. He wasn't acting himself yesterday and randomly crys out.. holding his tail funny and grooming his tail. I took him to the vet where I said that I thought there was tail pain because o fthe way he was acting.. they took xrays.. he has some vertebral disc disease and his tail seeems sensitive so they send us home with metacam.. (he hates it by the way.. so I'm going to run to the grocery store to try to find something to hide it in better.. let me know if you have suggestions).. still seems very jumpy and squeaks if he is startled.. I was questioning if he was in pain or if I am startling him because he can't see me.. Last night I woke up again to screaming and this time the two were boxing.. Inoticed throughout the day that it seemed like whenever the other rat brushed against rosebud he was get startled and stand up to box.. but again.. thought it could be pain related.. but last night I found them boxing so I opened the cage.. and just the way that Rosebud interacts with me makes me feel like he is more sensing me and not necessarily seeing me.. so I picked him up to put him on the floor of the cage... and he normally jumps right into the cage, but this time he seemed kind of confused like he didn't know where he was being placed.. I did just clean the cage so I placed a dirty piece of fleece on the bottom to add some scent since he seemed so disoriented.. then he spent most of the night kind of sitting in one spot on guard for a little bit... eventually made his way over to the water.. and I put food on the floor of the cage to make sure he could get to it.. This morning I found him back on the top level.

So.... sorry for the long story.. but what I'm thinking is.. could he have gone blind? I know that pituitary tumors are common in rats.. so suddenly gone blind, freaked out and hurt his tail? Or do these actions seem like they could just be a rat in pain? He is just so not like himself.. not coming up to the cage at all.. and squeals at what seems like nothing.. which could all be pain.. but just the way he is reacting to his environment and the other rat makes me thinking it's more than just pain.. but i honestly haven't had a rat in pain before so I dont know... again.. sorry for the ramble.. I'm just kind of upset because I don't like to see him in pain/fearful so I'm trying to anticipate what is going on and where to go from there..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And if it is a pituitary tumor and he in fact is blind... do you guys have any idea of prognosis? Do they get accustomed to being blind and have a "normal" life? He is only 11 months old and I really wasn't planning to have to say good bye this soon.. and I don't know what to do about Benjamin in that case :( I'm planning on giving him a couple days and checking back with the vet on monday.. see if the pain med makes any difference.. i also may be paranoid.. so tell me if you think that is the case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts