Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat was out and about and I cleaed his cage. After a few hours he when got bored of enternaing the humans and putting holes in my covers and pillows. He went to his cage and floped in his hammic. I put a cuple of handfulls of lab blocks in. About 10 hours later I wok up and his cage smelled. I turned on the light and Noah had gorged himself with the lab blocks and there was loads of fresh doodles.
Is he packing on fat for winter or something?
He isnt going to hibernat is he? Or was he just being fat and binge eating because he is on a dite and is only getting rat food?
How many lab blocks should a large male rat eat a day?

·
Registered
4 Posts
what type of lab block are you using? I have a very large male & he eats about 4 or 5 blocks a day along with his tablespoon or two of fresh veggies & fruits & a small amount of cereal, oats or rice.

A couple of handfuls sounds like way too much.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teklad Global 2014
Does 7-10 sound good since Im not giving him veggies,fruite,ceral,oats, or rice untill he loses some weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally I would just feed him the preferred diet. (a healthy mix of block & foods from the other suggested lists) I would also suggest you break up his feedings into meals rather than just dumping in a big pile in his bowl & calling it good to go for the day. This will prevent him from binge eating.

As with any diet you have to keep it balanced. By not offering the other items you are not taking care of all of his nutritional needs. The Lab blocks are good but they don't cover everything. Cut him back on the block & include the healthy fresh veggies & grains he needs.

What are you doing for exercise? Gotta get the big guy moving & eating healthy so that you can get his metabolism working in his favor. If he is not getting his daily nutritional needs met & he is not very active he may not lose much weight. In fact chances are that he may even gain weight & become more lethargic since his body will believe he is starving.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nova - Lab blocks ARE a complete diet. They were developed for rats and contain a balanced and complete nutritional staple. It would not be a good idea to cut back on the blocks and add extras.

As far as how many, JESSU, I don't feed HT, so maybe someone who does will tell you. Only give what he should eat in one day (anyone, chime in here?) and he should drop down to a healthy weight. A handful is too many blocks for one rat. Feed him once a day, and don't feed him again until he's finished what you gave him.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, just to give a point of reference, our lab blocks that we feed recommend 2-3 per rat, but we give 4 per rat, along with some veggie or seed treats occasionally. And they are all nice and sleek, but nowhere near fat...I can't even imagine what they would look like if they were each getting a handful! Of course, all lab blocks are different, but what does your brand recommend?

·
Registered
132 Posts
My boys get HT and they only get about 3 each in the morning and 3 a piece again in the evening with their veggies. My boys seem pretty trim. Slightly squishy but not overly. They're very athletic as well and run around my room for hours.
I would definitely recommend getting him a buddy though.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You're certain he's eating them all immediately and not just hiding them?

My boys eat about 5-6 apiece, depending on what else they're given, and eat them slowly throughout the day.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Noah was actually down to a normal weight. He looked amazing but a bit saggy. Then after a bit I started finding snak bags of ceral and other goodies with Noahs name on it. I tried to explane to my grandmother not to feed him and that I dont want him gaining the weight back. When I wasnt home she would sneek him snaks. She has a major feeding problem. Since he has gained about 80% of the weight back Noah is on a strick lab block only dite and we are montering my grandmother. She has moved on to making baked goods that she naggs us to eat. I have gotten chubby but atleast she isnt sneaking snacks to Noah.
I have thought long and hard about getting Noah a firend since I started posting here in the summer. He spends about 6 hours free roaming a day and in the morning I give him abput 15-20 mins of attn before I leave. After I leave for school my grandma wakes up feeds the fish, opens noahs door, gives him a tiny bit of carrot or pea and leaves it open. Noah usuly is sleeping at that time and rolls in to a ball and doesnt want to be botherd. He does get really jelous if I try to play on my ds or read a book or something. If you are trying to read a news paper he will rip off bits and stash it. With my ds he chews and tugs on it till I put it down. I think he would be jelous of another rat and may even feel repaced. I have talked about getting him a friend with the vet and she says that she has never met a rat like Noah. We have a very strong unique bond. We are both really atached to eachother and he boggles and bruxes all the time. He even wags his tail. I would love to get another rat even if it was just for my enjoyment but Im scared that Noah will feel like dejected.

When I put them in his bowl he moves then to his plasctic house and piles them up and puts a banket over them. He ususly picks at them twice a day but that one night he was really muching on them and what goes in comes out. He has only done that once before. I was just wondering if that was somethign rats did in the winter to have extra fat to stay warm or something

Here is Noahs sechudle
7:40AM- 8:00AM gets attn
9:00AM-? gets attn
?-3:00PM in cage
3:00PM-6:00PM -Im ususly taking a nap but if I have the engery play time will start aroud 3:00PM
6:00PM-12:00AM attn
12:00AM-9:00AM in cage

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
well, you aren't going to know for sure how he will feel until you try it. there's ways to make sure he knows he's still your number one of course, like giving a special treat and alone time with you as well as time all together with the new rat.

if you are unsure how he will react and so unsure if you can keep another rat, try talking about it with a rescue. they would be able to give you a rat that's been in quarantine to so you wouldn't have to do that yourself and can get right down to intros. they would be able to help you with the intros (as well as us here) and if in the end its not something noah wants to do and is truely a lone rat then you've tried and the rescue will take the new rat back if need be. so there is a way to try at the very least.

now, trying to get grandma to stop spoiling the fur-kid... yeah, i have no help to offer there. my fur kids have a grandpa that insists on bringing treats everytime he's over here. luckily most of the time the treats are a veggie or fruit of some sort but there are the crunchetts and cookies that get snuck in there every now and then too. mind you mine do not live with their grandfather as well so the treats do not become a daily routine or in place of lunch...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welllll, Jessu...as much as I want to agree with everyone (in most cases I would say rats absolutely MUST have other rat(s) to keep them company), I really feel that you may have a point...

LoL, at first I was skeptical, but the first rat I had went everywhere with me, we had a strong bond, etc...just like you and Noah.

And he just would not have a cagemate. Keep in mind, I spent an enormous amount of time with him...

So all I am saying is that I'm keeping an open mind to what you're saying. There are exceptions to everything, and maybe Noah truly is one.

Btw, did you ever figure out what the recommended feeding amount was for your lab blocks?

·
Registered
520 Posts
It sounds like you're doing a really good job with him. I remember reading about you guys this summer, and it always made me smile... :D

I have to agree with everyone else, a friend would be a good thing, but ultimately it is about you and Noah. You have to do what you think is best for him, you, and your family.

Kudos to you for helping him lose the weight. He'll be around longer, now!

I would imagine that 4(ish) lab blocks would probably be about right, but the bag of food should have some sort of feeding guide. Have you checked it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts