Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd make a thread for people to share their rat growths! Not necessarily pictures, just stories of things that have changed since their rats have grown up!

Bea, my 5 month old, has really rocketed up, and she doesn't quite fit the places she used to. I have a PVC tube in the cage covered in a fleece liner, that they like to sleep in when it gets warmer (there's airflow through the tube). When Bea was younger, she could comfortably splay herself in the tube completely horizontally, even stretched out. Now that's she's grown a bit, she has to curl up in a tiny sideways ball! She refuses to believe that she's grown up at all.

Artemis, who is 9 months old and almost fully grown, doesn't understand that she can't squeeze in between the cage wall and the bucket wheel like the babies can, and I've had to move it because she kept getting stuck!
Anyone else have stories to share?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Aww, that's cute, and it will probably be her favorite sleeping spot for the rest of her life! And maybe Artemis knows that Mumma will come save her when she does it so it's a game now. ^^

As for my boys, I got them when they were a little over a year old and the other two I have no clue their age, so I didn't get to experience actual physical growth. But their attitudes have changed.

Hartley was my psycho rat that would jump from my floor to my bed with no problem (even though he wasnt allowed) he was fiesty and made trouble often. And wouldnt stop for even a little scritch. Age is catching up to him. He doesn't jump much anymore unless he has to. He quits wrestling much sooner than his brother does and he is a bit more cuddly now. Though he still has his random bursts of energy in which afterwards he'll go in his sputnik and sleep it off lol

Duke hasn't changed much. He's still a chubby one. Still a lover. Renegade hasnt changed much either though I've only had him for a little over a month.

Cheshire has changed the most in the shortest amount of time. He use to hide and screech when I touched him. Cry out and flee when I went to pick him up. Push my hands away when I tried to pet him, and just generally very scared submissive to Reny. Now he is my lap rat, he snuggles in my hoodie, he comes to me to get picked up and loved on, and he's definitely grown some confidence with Reny chasing HIM down to play. I'm really excited to see them all grow as a little mischief together soon. =)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Haha cute, I wonder if rats wonder why their humans look a little smaller?

Chamois and Wolf are 1.9 yrs old, but they still play fight like crazy during free range time, run around a lot and chase things. Still goes off popcorning sometimes playing with my hand. But they sleep so much more when they're in the cage, they're so quiet during the day.
They used to both fit under the fiddlesticks hideout (bridge hideout made of wooden sticks) and cuddle together but now one only just fits in there haha
I thought they were big boys (Chamois 490g (1lb) and Wolf 465g) but when I was google searching about male rat weights I saw that some people apparently have males that weigh 800-1500g (1.5lb to 3lbs) :eek: How is a 3lb rat even possible?!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had such a tiny cage i used for my hamster when I got them and they were still small but oh my gosh they grew up so fast I soon had to buy a cage with three levels and they love it all the running room!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I introduced my youngest boy to the older ones and they all wanted to play with him he would run into a toilet paper tube where they couldnt reach him XD It was so cute and hilarious, he would just sit in the middle while the older ratties tried to fit their faces in to sniff him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts