Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last month, one of my rats had surgery to remove a tumor close to his left leg that grew really fast (I think it was size of a couple golf balls in just 3/4 months!). He did great and has recovered very well. However, tonight I checked where the tumor has been and I can feel another lump in the same area that's about the size of a dime. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, but it is possible it already came back? Or could it be a part of him recovering from surgery? I really hope it didn't come back since it hasn't even been a month since it was removed...
If this helps at all, he's around 9 months old and other than the tumor he's been very healthy and active. I know it wouldn't be the end of the world if he got another, but I worry from how fast it grew last time and how young he is.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I wish I could help but I'm not familiar with rat health problems and I'm almost positive we don't have any qualified vets on here. Is it possible to bring him back to the vet to get it checked out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I could help but I'm not familiar with rat health problems and I'm almost positive we don't have any qualified vets on here. Is it possible to bring him back to the vet to get it checked out?
I should be able to! I think I'm gonna wait for now and keep a close eye on it since I don't want to stress him out going back and forth. If it stays as is for a couple weeks or gets worse I'll definitely take him back to see what's going on.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If it grows at all, I would take him immediately. I hope he's okay!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately they can come back that fast. One of our girls got a fast growing tumor under her arm and we had it removed. We went back to the vet a month later for unrelated reasons and confirmed the tumor had returned within a month. It took only a couple of weeks to grow back to the same size. Once we found out we watched for signs of pain or struggling to move around the cage, and started preparing to put her down when it got too much for her. In the end she passed beside me in her sleep, less than three months after her surgery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Late last month, one of my rats had surgery to remove a tumor close to his left leg that grew really fast (I think it was size of a couple golf balls in just 3/4 months!). He did great and has recovered very well. However, tonight I checked where the tumor has been and I can feel another lump in the same area that's about the size of a dime. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, but it is possible it already came back? Or could it be a part of him recovering from surgery? I really hope it didn't come back since it hasn't even been a month since it was removed...
If this helps at all, he's around 9 months old and other than the tumor he's been very healthy and active. I know it wouldn't be the end of the world if he got another, but I worry from how fast it grew last time and how young he is.
I haven't been on here for a bit but I do have an update. It was growing very fast again, so I took him back to the vet. They were booked for a couple weeks so I was just able to get in him today.

I wasn't told this until today because whenever Pudge got his staples out the people doing that forgot to tell me, but the tumor was tested and it was confirmed to be cancerous. I have to wait to see when it's possible, but the plan is to remove the lump again, as well as some extra muscle close to the area. The vet said he'd call around and see if any place is able to use radiation to remove any remaining cancerous cells. Crossing my fingers that everything will go well.

If anyone has tips on anything I could do to help him while we wait for his surgery or aftercare for radiation, I'd love to hear it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts