Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she has a small lump on her side near her front legs. and a big lump in her stomach area on the left side. the vet says surgery is a bad idea for her? and that since she is eating fine right now and besides the tumors, healthy i should just let her be and when she gets real bad bring her in to put her down. should i try another vet or do you think the answer will probably be the same?
guess its pretty hard or pointless to try and treat cancer?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think he said it would be a bad idea considering the size of the tumor and where its located?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
get a second opinion. it may be the same but not necessarily. not all lumps are tumors and most tumors aren't cancerous. but all lumps should be treated or removed if possible. the risk a non-cancerous tumor poses is that it can grow so large that it will starve your rat of blood and impede movement and can be painful all of which decreases the quality of life. it may be too dangerous to operate where they are located but i can't see it. not unless they are deep rooted and they won't be able to tell really just by looking at it. they can't even be sure just by feel, though that will give them a fair guess.

all operations, no matter the creature or procedure are risky but sometimes the risk outweighs the risk not to have it done. i think that is when you should have an operation done. when it would mean death or near death to do nothing. and of course if you can gather the funds to pay for it. depending on how experienced the vet and the resources available to him/her and how difficult the lump is to remove will depict how expensive the procedure is going to be.

mind you if it is cancerous then there's nothing that cna be done other then to wait for the rat to tell you it time. they can figure this out by an aspirate and visual of the fluids or lack thereof of what comes out. if they aren't sure they can take a sample and run tests. another home method of finding out which is much cheaper is to wait and watch. take measurements of the growth daily to track its progress as well as the weight of your rat to tell if she starts losing. keep a diary of her daily activities so you can better track if she starts to lose interest in things she once enjoyed or is slowing down or other temperment changes. if she starts to lose wieght but the lump isn't large enough to impede movement or tender and so causing her pain then she probably has cancer. also the lump will grow VERY slowly or not at all. though that isn't always sure fire as i have seen cancerous lumps grow quite fast too.

but hopefully its just a abcess that hasn't come to a head yet and with a bit of tlc and antibiotics you can treat her at home and she can live a nice long life. a vet should be able to tell you if this is the case with a quick poke with a needle and a little squeeze. good luck and our thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its def not an abcess. the vet is very experienced with rats especially when it comes to cancer he says. he said he wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole, that trying to remove it would be too dangerous and that they would just come back. its a pretty big tumor... may be a little smaller than a ping pong ball in her belly. guess it is still worth it to take her to another vet for a second opinion. i dont know of any other good vets and kinda feel weird going to one i dont know and there for dont trust. the vet i took her to before is my family vet, for 13 years so far. hes a great vet. and if the surgery can be done i would def pay for it, as long has its not thousands of $.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
when did she develop this lump? how long has she had it? just because the vet is super experienced doesn't mean he/she might not be wrong. There is always a chance of misdiagnosis. Even with human doctors LoL boy did i learn that the hard way. Anyway your rattie definitely deserves a second opinion and I can tell how much you care for her because of the way you put things. I hope you keep us posted and I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. You are a very good rat parent though and hopefully she will pull through and be comfie for a while more.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't know i didn't really ever feel her much, shes about a year old, i got her from some craphole of a store in DC. shes was scared of everything for a long time so i normally just let her cage door open and she would come out and sniff around then go hide again(never felt it during bath time either ;/ ). then lately she got more friendly and comfortable and i noticed the lump. so she could've had it for quite some time. i shoulda took her to the vets sooner for a check up when i took the other one. im gonna make an appointment with another vet for the following saturday(only time i can go).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts