Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was giving my Rat Tumbleton a bath and he had a scab on his neck which came off and I discovered this.
01tumbletonwound.png (I know its a bad pic but all I have is my phone)
It's not bleeding but I'm worried because I opened it up by accident. I'm not sure how this happened, he didn't have any blood on his fur and I don't see blood anywhere, but the skin is clearly cut open.

I have to leave tomorrow morning on a long trip and I have to take both my rats with me...

What should I do for him?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?
I'm wearing a hoodie backwards and I've got him snuggled in the hood, boggling his little eyes out while I give him skritches, so he obviously doesn't feel too bad.
Should I clip his fur or wash the wound out with some saline or put anything on it?
Also I have some Baytril should I give him any or only if it gets infected?
It looks gnarly but it's clean, I'm assuming my other boy bit him last night, maybe an accident, IDK they usually get along great they were snuggling earlier. :I

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply :)
I guess I'll keep a close eye on him.
The wound looks a bit smaller already, but maybe it's just because his fur is dry now?
It doesn't look infected or swollen, so I'll try not to worry too much.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just check it everyday without poking at it or anything and keep tabs on it. If it's not bleeding and it had already scabbed over like you had said, it will scan over again and your rattie will be okay :).

You can always look online and see what type of topical ointments are safe to use on rats, but as long as it's healing properly I wouldn't put anything on it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Just keep it clean and chances are very good that it will close up perfectly on its own. I keep a can of wound wash (sterile saline) in the first aid kit to rinse wounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts