Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2 years old female rat was bleeding from her genitals for about a week-week and a half (didn't know where the blood was coming from, thought it was just a cut tht someone was picking open since there wasnt a lot of blood) and then she started looking pale and having trouble breathing Thursday, brought her to vet first thing yesterday and they said she has the beginnings of a URI and either a uterine infection or uterine tumor. For now we are giving antibiotics and if the bleeding continues she will be considered for surgery, she has been relatively active all this time (sleeping several hours a day but still willing to move around the top layers of the cage and hiding food) still eating normal and i'm pretty sure drinking fine since the vet didn't say she seemed dehydrated.

Prior to visitng the vet i noticed a slight limp in one leg but assumed it was due to the vaginal pain so she was trying to some how compensate and the vet didn't not mention anything about it even though she was there for 2 hours, but tonight i noticed that both her back feet seem swollen compared to her sister's and she is sort of wadling but she is still moving around to hide food and everything. I don't think she sprained them since they are swollen in the same place on both and they have no discoloration, also don't think it is bumble foot though if it is how do i tell as apposed to anything else? The vet is closed tomarow but i plan to call the first thing monday, and i'm not worried to bad about infection since shes already on the antibiotics, but could it be related to the uterine issues? Or from laying down too much? Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
This makes me think of sceptic arthritis which can happen when an infection goes into the blood stream. It's very unlikly from pyo as it's not normal for it to go internally, more come out., unless it's closed pyo but I'd expect her to be very unwell with this .

honestly in the best majority of cases of suspected pyo (uterine infection) is safest to spay first and ask questions later as theres a few things such as uterine polyps / cysts and other weird things which can cause bleeding too and aren't touched by meds.

What antibiotics is she on. i would get her on something combined and stronger so maybe baytril and Co amox, and get her booked in for a spay asap. It may help her legs but if the infecting had spread and you don't get it sorted soon it will get bad fast

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This makes me think of sceptic arthritis which can happen when an infection goes into the blood stream. It's very unlikly from pyo as it's not normal for it to go internally, more come out., unless it's closed pyo but I'd expect her to be very unwell with this .

honestly in the best majority of cases of suspected pyo (uterine infection) is safest to spay first and ask questions later as theres a few things such as uterine polyps / cysts and other weird things which can cause bleeding too and aren't touched by meds.

What antibiotics is she on. i would get her on something combined and stronger so maybe baytril and Co amox, and get her booked in for a spay asap. It may help her legs but if the infecting had spread and you don't get it sorted soon it will get bad fast
The vet wanted the resp infection dealt with first before the spay, she's on baytril .27 ml 2x a day for 2 weeks, but i was thinking about trying to set her for a spay either this fri or next depending on what the vet thought, but we are trying to avoid it due to her age and her tendency to rip out stitches from her past surgery, but if there is no improvement with the bleeding in the next coupe days then i'm going to have her spayed. Aside from infection are there other things that could cause the leg issues? I'm trying to do research into everything that i can think of so when i speak to the vet and she gives a diagnosis i already have a decent idea of quality of life for her, i hate seeing my little ones suffer any longer than they have to.

She also dosn't seem in pain where the sweeling is, i was touching her feet today and she didn't care at all, but when i did the meds she was squeaking, so i can't tell if her legs are very painful or if they are just annoying and uncomfortable at this point

1 - 4 of 4 Posts