Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, one of my 2.5 yr old female rats has been having respiratory issue lately. Two weeks ago, she was brought into the vet for having sneezing/ slight breathing noises. I had assumed it was just another myco flare-up,as did my vet. She said her lungs and heart sounded fine, and she was prescribed baytril and doxy, twice daily, for 3 weeks. This medication combo usually knocks the URI out. Today marks two weeks from when she was taken into the vet. She was improving for the first week of meds, sneezing was decreased, breathing sounded better. But for the past day or so, she has been having bad breathing sounds. They sound similar to a "grunt" or hard breathing and they have become pretty much consistent. The noises will sometimes fade when she is laying down, but when she begins to walk, it becomes louder, and when she gets excited, they become very loud and fast. It sounds absolutely horrible, and you can tell she is having a difficult time breathing. She has a little labored breathing, and you can see her use her sides as she makes these noises. But otherwise, she seems perfectly healthy. She is eating, drinking, not lethargic, and there is NO sneezing, discharge, or porphyrin around her nose or eyes. Does this mean this is a lower respiratory issue? Because of the lack of sneezing etc? I am very worried, but very positive, it probably has something to do with her lungs.

She will go to the vet tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced similar, or had any idea what could be going on? I want to get some xrays of her lungs, is there anything that I should look out for? Anything that signals common lung issues (pneumonia, pulmonary abcesses)?

Thank you for all and any advice!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hello, one of my 2.5 yr old female rats has been having respiratory issue lately. Two weeks ago, she was brought into the vet for having sneezing/ slight breathing noises. I had assumed it was just another myco flare-up,as did my vet. She said her lungs and heart sounded fine, and she was prescribed baytril and doxy, twice daily, for 3 weeks. This medication combo usually knocks the URI out. Today marks two weeks from when she was taken into the vet. She was improving for the first week of meds, sneezing was decreased, breathing sounded better. But for the past day or so, she has been having bad breathing sounds. They sound similar to a "grunt" or hard breathing and they have become pretty much consistent. The noises will sometimes fade when she is laying down, but when she begins to walk, it becomes louder, and when she gets excited, they become very loud and fast. It sounds absolutely horrible, and you can tell she is having a difficult time breathing. She has a little labored breathing, and you can see her use her sides as she makes these noises. But otherwise, she seems perfectly healthy. She is eating, drinking, not lethargic, and there is NO sneezing, discharge, or porphyrin around her nose or eyes. Does this mean this is a lower respiratory issue? Because of the lack of sneezing etc? I am very worried, but very positive, it probably has something to do with her lungs.

She will go to the vet tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced similar, or had any idea what could be going on? I want to get some xrays of her lungs, is there anything that I should look out for? Anything that signals common lung issues (pneumonia, pulmonary abcesses)?

Thank you for all and any advice!
I hope your rat gets better! :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would get her on steroids as well as baytril / doxy. It sounds like the abs were working and then the problem took back over again so it needs something stronger. Steroids are a really potent antinflamatory and can be real miricle workers. It could make a big difference. It may also be worth switching the doxy to amoxycillin or coamox, jsut to see if the change of abs help as sometimes bacteria are partially resistent to one antibiotic or other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts