Rat Forum banner

Rat hiccups??

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Grotesque 
#1 ·
My rat Grayson recently started jerking his whole body when he gets relaxed on me. It's almost like a heart beat in rythm. I've only noticed it three times in the last 5 days. It seems to be when he's bruxing. What could this be? I don't know if I should be concerned. Also it doesn't last very long. Maybe 20 seconds. And there is no noise associated with it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I've read that hiccups are also sometimes not "true" hiccups and they voluntarily hiccup as a sign of happiness. One of my boys used to do this all the time when he was younger and occasionally will do it now when he's really content and happy. It's definitely done when he is feeling cozy and happy, and sometimes he would/does hiccup so robustly that he even chirps with each hiccup. It's very cute. He's done this almost all his life. Since you said your boy does this when he's relaxing on you and bruxing, that's almost 100% what it probably is, is just happy hiccups and he's feeling very cozy and safe with you :)

#8 ·
Its normal for rats to hiccup. I used to get really scared when they would do it so I'd hold them and pet them until the hiccups went away. Now I suspect Ginger fakes it for attention since she stops the moment I pick her up and then starts clicking and boggling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.