Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat that I got to be Charlie's buddy has been in QT for four days or so, and has been sneezing/chirping pretty consistently. No porphyrin buildup around the eyes or nose, and appears to be eating and drinking normally, and pretty inquisitive and energetic.

How long do I wait to tell the difference between new-home sniffles and something that needs treatment?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
7-10 days but varies depending on the rat. The chirping is a little worrisome. Keep a close eye on him. Do you have him in quarantine at a friend's home?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
When he's chirping rest your fingers lightly on his back over his chest, do you feel a grumble or vibration (this is usually more reliable than doing the rat telephone)? If so I would get him on a course of antibiotics (septrin or amoxicillin), if not continue to monitor and if he ever looks ill or unhappy then get him on the antibiotics

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's quarantined at my grandmother's house. She lives about five minutes from me, so I can go up there every day. It'll be a couple days before I can get to a vet because of snow (there's a state of emergency where I live right now) but the rat isn't acting like it feels unwell. I'll check for the vibration next time I get a chance. I have a feeling I'll need to get her a course of antibiotics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts