Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been a lurker for a while since getting my two rats Gus and Buddy. Gus i got from Petco (bad idea, i know. only figured that out after i got him and joined here) and Buddy i got from a breeder after i found they need to be in pairs at least. Both are about a year old at this point, Gus being older by only a month or two. I think the two have been fighting when i am away at work because i have been keeping an eye on them and everything is quiet while i am with them. Buddy has lots of tiny scabs on his back between his shoulders, while Gus is free of these marks. I have seen the advice to put them in a smaller enclosure, and that only seemed to make it worse. I do not want to seperate them because i know this will cause them both problems, but there's little to nothing i can do about it when i am not home to referee them.

Any advice you guys can give would be helpful. The scabs are not deep, nor do they seem to cause Buddy pain when i pet him, there's just a lot of them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds like mites,,,one of my rats got mites,,nasty looking, the other did not, though they were not in the same cage at the time, I was introducing, the new fellow, when the mite appeared on the first fellow,,,,my vet prescribed the cat based "Interceptor" cuz they lick at it ( dosage will need to be adjusted down),,,,took 3 weeks, both rats were treated at the same time..1st dose kills the active adults, 2nd dose a week later kill the newly hatched eggs, 3rd dose, just makes sure, and gets rid of any thing left,,,,also, my vet suggested, if you use store bought litter, or bedding ,to freeze it first,,, kills any mite or bugs,,,best of luck,,please to hear you are looking after them,,,,stay with it

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry I need to correct the medicine, it was "Advantage Multi Feline" and it took just longer than 3 weeks,,,,more like 4,, in 2 week cycles,but it did work,,,sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
image1.jpg

This is what i am seeing on his back. I had to brush his fur the wrong way to be able to see it. If mites is all it is, i will feel a lot better. I was hoping it wasn't aggression from the other rat.

The other thing, if it IS mites how did he get them? Is there something i can do to make sure he doesn't get them again?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Probably mites, same one guy looked the same, all your rats will need to be treated at the same time. My vet prescribed "Advantage Multi Feline", dosage downsized,( 1 little drop) even after the first drops were applied between the shoulder blades, there was a great improvement. As I mentioned in a previous post, freeze the bedding, or litter first ( that may be where the mites came from)...clean the cage with water and vinegar,,, best of luck,,,lets us know how it goes,,,,,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts