Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My smallest rat, Pebble, has been shrieking as if she is in terrible pain. It started maybe a week ago but I'd written it off as my other two rats being too rough on her since they do wrestle/force groom each other quite a bit. I would always check on her when I heard the shrieks but I couldn't see any sign of injury so there wasn't much I could really do.
The other day, however, I heard her shrieking while I was holding the other two. Pebble was sitting in the cage by herself just shrieking and shrieking. Since then I've noticed that the frequency of the shrieks are increasing, and it's extremely unsettling. It's also perplexing because she has no visible injuries and she's never stuck in/under anything. She's just sitting in the open, by herself, shrieking. Also, she's always been pretty shy, but lately she's been a total hermit, refusing to come out of the cage and interact with me or my boyfriend.

Has anyone experienced this before? I realize the smartest thing to do is take her to the vet, but I would like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation. If you were able to find out what the cause was, what was it and how did you handle it? I'm very concerned, but I would like to have some idea of what I might be dealing with before taking action.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I had a hairless male a few years ago that would shriek if one of the other males got anywhere near him. It was very odd since they never fought with him or anything and he was perfectly fine as long as no one was invading his personal bubble. How long have you had her and was she ever "normal" acting in her cage? How did you do introductions and did you do any type of immersion with her? Rats aren't typically vocal like that when they're sick and even when in pain or startled they'll only give out a couple of short shrieks if that. I had a boy take a pretty big chunk out of another boy's leg once and didn't hear any type of cry from the one that got bit. Maybe someone else has some better ideas, but it sounds to me like you need to redo intros between her and yourself and between her and the other rats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've had her and her sister for a month, but Pebble has always been a bit odd. She's definitely not social, either with people or her cagemates.
Intros took about two weeks. We started by putting them all in the bathtub on the first night, then we kept them in separate cages right next to each other so they could see each other. When we would let them out we would put a tiny bit of vanilla extract at the base of their tails and above their noses to try to neutralize their smells. We tried putting them in the main cage a few times but we kept having to separate them because we would get anxious whenever the two new girls ganged up on our older one, but we got a new cage and they've been relatively civil with each other since we set them up in there.
I actually decided to separate her after posting this thread since she seemed to be the most distressed whenever the other rats would get too close, and since she's been by herself...I haven't heard a peep. It's so odd, though, because she was doing the shrieking even when she was all alone in the other cage. How might I go about redoing intros? Should I try the vanilla thing again, or something else? I'm not sure how to reintroduce them since they've all been living in the same cage for the past couple of weeks, and she's spent her whole life with her sister.
Oh, and perhaps I should add that Pebble is noticeably smaller than both of our other rats, including her sister. I don't know if that's relevant at all, but maybe that contributes to her feeling intimidated or threatened...? I don't know how true that is since she's actually pretty aggressive (maybe to compensate for her size, haha).

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have never had this happen to me. I had a male that wouldnt make any noise at all when he had been hurt. Maybe she felt uncomfortable for some reason and that is why she does it? Maybe an over reaction to fear or stimuli?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts