Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My rat, Jupiter has been extra itchy in one spot lately, so I've been keeping an eye on him and today I noticed that it itched off a bald spot and there is a little red dot on him. He doesn't seem to mind if I touch it, so I don't think it hurts, but it's obviously very itchy. I rubbed some cortisone 10 cream on it and he seemed appreciative. Is there anything I should do? Does anyone know what it is? I can take him to the vet, however I'd like your opinions first.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello noodledoodle sorry for your Jupiter's trouble right now. I don't now if this is the right thing to do right now but maybe a nice lukewarm bath with baby shampoo/an oatmeal based shampoo. And dry her off as best as you can with a towel. Maybe you can top it off by putting a bit of coconut oil on her fur to maybe moisturize the skin?? However, I don't know what that red dot is on Jupiter and I don't know if any of this would help or just irritate your baby more. I would do a tiny bit more research before doing anything else I just though maybe this suggestion might be of some help.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
It's most likely mites which is treated by revolution... It's not so much a diagnosis on my part but it's the most likely issue. And before you look for the mites themselves, they are too small to see. There are lots of threads on mites and revolution here, so I won't repeat what's been said before just search mites and revolution and you will find all the info you need.

I hope Jupiter feels better soon.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You can't get revolution here in the US without a prescription but you can buy it online from Australia. I've bought it here...

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/revolutionpupkitts3packbonusvial-p-384.html

twice now and it's been perfect. The first time I treated my boys I screwed up the dosing and didn't use enough and wasted a bunch trying to measure a drop. Hence the second order.

But I have discovered that each little vial has exactly 10 drops and that 2 drops is the recommended dose (from rat health guide) for an average size male. (~450g) I have one boy who is over 600g so I gave him 3 drops, but the other three got 2 each.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts