Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to build a rat playpen, and finished it today. I put them in (it was around 1+ feet tall) and my rats jumped out of it. I bumped it up to 2 feet and my rats were still able to get out of the playpen.
How high can rats jump?
And does anybody have any ideas about making the playpen so that they can't jump out?
Thanks =/

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would personally put a top on it, my girls are avid jumpers and they can jump half way up my thigh, now i'm nowhere near tall but thats still atleast 2.5 feet

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with renay make the pen about 3 foot tall and make a roof maybe that will hold the rascals a bit longer =]

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
A roof is probably your best bet... My jumpy boy (Puck) can jump what seems like 3 feet. :lol:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You could make it as a flat sheet bigger than your pen and then weight the edges so it holds in place... that way you could get it off quickly if needed?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rats, if willing enough, can jump up to three feet in height without any deployment. Put a nice wall for them to gain some momentum off of and they could probably shoot it up to about five feet. Consider smoothing out the walls and such if they're made of wire.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MagicalLobster said:
Rats, if willing enough, can jump up to three feet in height without any deployment. Put a nice wall for them to gain some momentum off of and they could probably shoot it up to about five feet. Consider smoothing out the walls and such if they're made of wire.
They're cardboard walls. Does that give them alot of grip?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Forsure a lid. I let my girls run around the bathroom because that is the only place safe in my house for them to scurry about.

·
Registered
194 Posts
me and my housemate once spent about 2 hours making a run for my ratties. until they jumped out in a few seconds flat. we were humiliated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lilspaz68 said:
Are they jumping straight up off the floor? Or do you have items in there that they are launching off of?
Both. I think only one of them can do it off the floor though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rats, if willing enough, can jump up to three feet in height without any deployment. Put a nice wall for them to gain some momentum off of and they could probably shoot it up to about five feet.
Ain't that the truth. I was dumbfounded just now when Nyah (grey hooded rat with black eyes and apparently really good depth perception) leaped way up onto my thigh, then springboarded off my thigh onto my footlocker to escape my 20 inch "Great Wall" playpen. It was very impressive. Ruby on the other hand, doesn't jump, and is content with exploring the confines of the playpen.

But yeah, like everyone's been saying, rats are very smart, and very good jumpers. A dangerous combination for anyone trying to keep them contained.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put a lip over the edges, and it seems to have worked. So far I haven't had an escape yet, but they've tried.
^^

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
giddy4ratz said:
lieunym said:
I put a lip over the edges, and it seems to have worked. So far I haven't had an escape yet, but they've tried.
^^
Oooh that is fantastic! :) I hope they are enjoying their little selves :D
He got out today :?
Arggg I can't seem to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts