Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my boys, Colin, had a lump removed near his hind leg a week and a half ago. The vet stitched the wound, but then glued it when he pulled at his stitches immediately after the surgery.

He then proceeded to reopen the wound overnight, so had a trip back to have it restitched the next day ☹

All seemed fine for a few days, then last Wednesday evening it was wide open again. I took him back in on Thursday and it was found to now be infected, so the vet cleaned up the wound, including removing some infected tissue and an abscess, and restitched him. He's been on baytril (twice daily) and metacam (once daily) since then. He doesn't seem to be going for the stitches, and the fact that they've lasted 5 days makes me think something else is going on. Given the position of the wound, I'm wondering if it's getting pulled on as he moves and climbs?

He wasn't very mobile after the restitching on Thursday, probably because he was sore, but over the last couple of days he's been back to his normal self, which means climbing up onto the bed and into a chest of drawers that my rats have always liked to sleep in (the design means that small people can climb up into the drawers when they are closed, so it's a nice warm, dark place to sleep 🙂).

The wound has now reopened again, and looks grim, there also seems to be a bit of a smell which makes me think it's getting infected again. I'm going to try to get him back in to the vet tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for keeping it closed?

Despite the way the wound looks, Colin seems otherwise fine - he's fully mobile, he's eating and drinking, he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. He's also washing himself, but doesn't seem to spend a lot of time specifically around the wound, as I would expect if he was irritated by it.

The frustrating thing is that he had a lump removed three months ago and it healed perfectly, only to reappear ☹

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts