Rat Forum banner

Rat kisses?

6K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  George? 
#1 ·
So I've heard people say about getting little rat kisses, and sometimes my rats whiffle my lips in the cutest way, which feels just like a kiss! But I can't help but wonder if it's wishful thinking, and they're just smelling me and it's just me wishing it is kisses haha! They don't really groom me or anything, which makes me feel like I might be hoping a little too much. But I wonder as well how much we all as loving pet owners humanize their behaviours when actually they're just being cute while doing other things. (Even if that's the case, their cuteness is such that I'm happy with it being my imagination :p)

#9 ·
My boys both kiss me. I was wondering if they were licking my lips to taste anything I ate/drank recently, but they also both climb up my shoulder and start grooming my face and round eyes, and they always groom my hands when I first open the cage too. When I used to have a cat he did a similar thing.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone :D D'awww all the images of little licking/kissing ratties is too cute! My mum's rats used to lick and groom me when I looked after them, but my babies haven't done that yet, I feel like my relationship with my own rats will be slower to blossom. They like to nibble my other half's beard though haha!

#13 ·
Yeah, I had one tug on my mustache. I think she figured it out when I barked no the second time. She hasn't tried since.

My Penumbra really loves to lick. I'll put my hand in the cage, and she'll go to town on it. She especially likes to get up on my shoulder and groom my ear. She'll even lick the back of my head. Weird rat.

Latte will lick a lot too, especially when she's picked up.

Loki usually doesn't care, but she'll lick when someone else is, so I guess she caves into peer pressure.

#14 ·
Moose kisses my nose.

By which I mean he climbs all the way up my pant leg, shirt, up to my shoulder, grabs my cheek with one paw, pushes my face towards him, and with one paw holding me in place, feasts on whatever boogers he can get from his perch.

I had a selfie of this I made the mistake of showing my co-worker, and she put it in the yearbook, much to the delight of my students.

#15 ·
Before Gidget passed away, she used to like to groom my ear. Sometimes she'd sniff inside it, too, and me being no good with ticklish things, there was generally much squeaking and squirming on my part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.