Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rat owner to my ratties Kate and Raven. I had purchased the Petco Rat Manor Cage and was wondering if anyone found a cleaning hack for this cage! I really like the cage, but cleaning it is such a hassle! If anyone has any tips I would appreciate it! I do use fleece bedding for this cage if that is an important detail!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Because of the small doors, I found it incredibly hard to clean as well. I fought with the thing to keep coverings on the wire floor, to scrap pee from places I did not expect, etc. Eventually I started hauling the whole thing into the shower and spraying it down in there.

And then I got more rats and had to upgrade lol but I was more than happy to see it go! Great starter cage for 2 rats but I wouldn't buy one again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the Rat Manor for my two boys and I agree it is a hassle to clean. For the most part I just separate the top from the bottom and clean out any bedding that is in there. Then I take the top and put it in the shower. That's really all I think you can do. But then again if you have hammocks and other toys in there it's gonna be kinda of a hassle to get it all out to spray it down. I have to take all that out and then clean... hopefully you can find a good way to clean it. My way isn't anything special and definitely is still complicated. xD

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I don't have a rat manor cage I take my rats' cage to the car wash to spray it down and wash my car while I am there, I have a very clean car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
For those who have the rat manor (getting one for my two girls since critter nation is way too big for my room), did you cover the levels and ladders with fleece? If so, how since I see they come in large squares. Did you just cut them?

·
Registered
995 Posts
My girls were young when I had the Rat Manor so I took out all the small levels and ladders and just kept the middle divider. This gave it more room for ropes, hammocks, and toys. I had carefresh or paper cat litter in the base. For the middle layer, I did a layer of cardboard and then a layer of fleece, secured it with binder clips, and it was good to go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also have the Rat Manor, and yes, it is a pain to clean. I just sit down on the floor and scrub it with vinegar solution, and sanitize the bottom pan with hot water and bleach and then rinse it out and dry it. But wiping down all the wire floors, ramps, levels etc. is hard work. I wish I had bought a CN but they are just sooo much more expensive and I only have 2 rats. I'm liking PaigeRose's idea of taking out all the extra levels/ramps and only keeping the middle divider... I just have to find something that makes a good enough ladder from the bottom pan up to the divider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the rat manor, and I don't think cleaning it is all that bad. But I've never had any other cage to compare it to, lol. What I do is every day when I go to tidy up the cage, I'll have some hot water with me to clean one part of the cage, like the front bars, then the next day do a different section, etc. That way you don't have to tackle it all at once. I don't have any of the wire levels covered up, is that something that I should consider? I had read that bumblefoot is mostly a concern in dirty conditions.

·
Registered
995 Posts
My girls mostly just used the sides to climb up to the middle but you can get lava ledges, they would help with filing nails as well. Or they sell wooden ladders in the bird sections at pet stores.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm actually really happy to see that I'm not the only person who thinks cleaning this cage is a bit of a hassle! I pretty much do a mix of what others do. When I had access to a backyard, I'd take the thing outside and hose it down then scrub it down as best as possible. I took out the ramps and whatnot so my girls would have more climbing room, and I use binder clips to secure fleece to the middle floor so my girls wouldn't rip it right off to hide under.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts