Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago i found out one of my little boys was actually a little girl she has been separated but is in a temporary enclosure till i get a better cage. I am not looking to get a giant cage like i have for my 5 boys which is the DCN since i will only be getting her a friend or two. I was looking at the rat manor but have seen good and bad reviews on it. Can anyone who has had/have the cage give me some advice? How many rats can it hold? I don't want a huge cage but plenty of space for them. Are the bar spacing small enough for little girls? Is it overall a good cage?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used to have the Rat Manor and I think it's a great cage! I had up to 4 boys in it, which is for sure doable with hammocks, toys, etc. The only thing bad is cleaning the wire shelves, they're a total pain, but you can easily carry the cage and take the shelves out to scrub them in the shower. I covered my shelves with cardboard or fleece to protect their feet. I would still have it if I hadn't have downsized in rats and gotten a $50 cage off of Amazon, which I also love and would be great for 3-4 rats! It's much easier to clean and folds down as well for transportation, storage, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Levels-Ferret...=UTF8&qid=1450209611&sr=1-4&keywords=rat+cage

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the rat manor, I personally wouldn't put more than 2-3 girls in it but it sounds about right for what you're looking for! I just took the shelves out since they were a pain and replaced them with hammocks and ladders. The bar spacing is 1/2" so you should be good to go on that. My only problem with the cage is that it has very small doors which can be annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I agree with the above poster. I had the cage (still do) and used it for 3 females. I would say 2-3 females would be the max... I think it is too small for males.

If you want to put anything large in (i.e. a wheel) it has to go on the bottom and you have to lift the cage off to put it inside. The doors are small, but seem to be sturdy.

The other issue I had with it was cleaning... I removed all the small shelves (and would have removed the middle floor if it would still have still been stable) because it was very hard to clean them. The rats' pee gets on them even with liners and they are very hard to wipe down. With all the small shelves out, I had room for some hammocks and climbing ropes. To really deep clean the cage, you'll need to put it in the shower.

Another idea might be separating your DCN into 2 cages. If your boys aren't that active, they should be fine in half the cage. Order an extra bottom pan (or even better, a metal pan from Bass or flower town chinchillas) and use it on the top level to separate the two halves. I kept a group of 3 f / 4m like this and everyone had lots of room. That said, if your males have issues with each other or are very active, that may not be the right decision for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts