Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you all are very familiar with ratty math.

I accidentally on purpose bought another rat yesterday.

Puts me at six girls and one boy.

She's a teeny tiny little double rex dumbo. She looks like a velvet rat right now. Blue with a headspot and berkshire belly.

I think she's going to be a shoulder rat- she reminds me of my heart rat, Romeo, who I miss dearly. She glued herself to me right away.

I've named her Fleur. All my girls have cutesy girly names so she had to have one too. She is soooooooo cute.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was doing tarantula math and picking up a baby Pumpkin Patch tarantula, but I ended up doing rat math too..

oooops. :p

I will try to get some photos coming soon.

She is shy and very calm. She flattened out on the bottom of the cage when intro'd to my group, who are very sweet, ranging in ages and very used to newcomers. I ended up letting her ride in my hood for like two hours, and she was snuggled right in. She tried my bra but kept slipping, there's not a lot of extra room in there..

She is adorable though.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yeah, Dan's comment rubbed me off the wrong way too but I didn't want to say anything. With the bad reputation that our pet rodents get, we (the rat community) should be more understanding of other people's exotic pet choices. I am sure he did not mean anything by it, probably didn't think. I think tarantulas are fascinating personally but would never own one myself because I am a little fearful of spiders generally.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just hate spiders. Plus, to me, tarantulas don't really seem like "pets". They're more like living exhibit that you'd have out of fascination so I didn't think anyone would get offended by me calling them icky.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Tarantula = Yuck!
I politely disagree with your statement but I can respect it. Perhaps Dan is an arachnophobe, there's nothing wrong with that. Don't jump on the poor man for his opinion.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I politely disagree with your statement but I can respect it. Perhaps Dan is an arachnophobe, there's nothing wrong with that. Don't jump on the poor man for his opinion.
Not really an arachnophobe, as they don't terrify me, but I certainly have a strong dislike for all spiders. Most bugs actually. They just skeeve me out.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I love spiders but crickets give me the heebeegeebees :/

·
Registered
953 Posts
My husband is with you Dan on the spiders. Hates em. I love bugs. Unless it's a parasite-that grosses me out-fleas, mites, lice, bot flys..yuck-sorry to offend if someone likes those. haha

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am offended by that. I have eight tarantulas I love like my children. They are very precious to me. The same way as my rats are. Your feelings would be hurt if someone said that about your rats. Don't say it about my spiders.

For those who actually have some interest, I have-

(common and scientific names)

Abigaile- Togo Starburst Baboon, H. Maculata
Melinda- Mexican fireleg, B. Boehmei
Valeria- Chilean rose, G. rosea

The rest have no names yet (it's hard..they live 30 years so picking names is a process)
Pumpkin Patch, Hapalopelma Sp. Columbia
Brazilian Blonde Birdeater, N. Tripepii
Curly hair, B albopilosum
Brazilian salmon pink birdeater, L. paryabhana
Green Bottle Blue, C. cyanopubescens

·
Registered
953 Posts
I guess my feelings don't get hurt that easy about things like that. My Mother is terrified of rats and considers them disgusting. She just barely handled the ferrets. The skunk was on the disgusting list. I'm 45 years old and she is 70 and she is not changing her mind. It doesn't upset me or offend me. She's always been freaked out by..well everything but cats and dogs. Even my horse scared her.

She knows I've always had a small zoo happening at my house, everyone goes into their cages or into my bedroom when she comes to visit. Honestly for her being able to look at them through bars is her coming a long ways. There was a time she wouldn't even go in a house if she thought there was rodents or reptiles in it.

Love her dearly, love my pets dearly. Everyone had their own phobias and fears mild or severe. Mine are parasites, with a mild following of humans-humans can be nasty vermin imo.

with that all said, my 17 year old daughter keeps asking for a tarantula. Which I wouldn't of minded if I didn't end up with a HUGE amount of rats currently. So she may have to wait till she moves out-or if she doesn't move out, wait till our pet population is down by a lot. I babysat my old science teachers tarantula-I don't know enough to tell you what kind, he was very large and very boldly colored yellow and black. It was really beautiful.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was more directed at Dan than you. It wasn't a very polite way of saying he wasn't fond of the pets I have..

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. But they should also express that opinion in a mature manner - "yuck"ing someone's pet is not that. It contributed zero to the topic and was just unnecessary. Please, if you have nothing meaningful to contribute to a topic, do consider taking up casual chat in The Lounge instead. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyway.

Fleur is a shoulder rat for sure. She rode around in the collar of my sweater for a long time while I went to pick up litter, treats, and bird snacks at the pet store. No one knew she was there until she moved or was pointed out, she just kind of crashed and cuddled up to me like a little warm beanbag.

Chloe, one of my older rats, had her pinned and squealing tonight poor doll. Wasn't hurting her, at least not on purpose. Fleur's skin is very delicate and the other rats have scratched her some while grooming her. But Chloe was trying to remove the ointment I put on. Silly rats.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.