Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm wanting to introduce my 5-6 month old female rat Mishka to my cat Simon. He's very chill and friendly, does not really harm or have a really predatory personality. I've brought him up to the rat cage before and he licked my rats and they licked him through the bars. I'm wanting to put my cat on my bed and bring one of my rats out and have them get to know each other. Here are my concerns.

I'm afraid that, when I put my rat down, my cat will attack with no warning and instantly kill her. I'm not really aware of how long it takes, if I can see it before it happens, etc, etc. Any help on this topic, guys?

·
Registered
953 Posts
All animals are different and you would know your cat better than anyone else.

However, it makes me super uneasy just thinking about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello,

If your cat is very chill and doesn't even want to attack your rat in its cage I would give it a shot, just be very watchful the first few times and be ready to mediate any conflicts. I used to have a very calm old cat who would lay on my stomach while my gerbil climbed all over him and just generally made an annoyance of himself. Both of my current cats have been raised around small animals, so they know to never hurt them even if they will express some interest in playing from time to time. Actually I find that (my) cats tend to run away whenever my rats (and other rodents or small animals) come near them. One of my rats, Xavier, takes advantage of this and bullies the cats off of my bed all the time when I let them free-range. Rats are generally very quick to run away and are very capable of defending themselves if need be, so if you think yours might be ready for an introduction to your cat, I say go for it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
You could also get a cat leash and collar and have that on your cat when you do the introductions. That way you will have some control over them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts