Rat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting two rats soon, although I'm not sure male or female yet. Is there really a difference? I've heard that males are more cuddly, is this true? But anyways, all of my pets have been named after cartoon characters. I've had mice named Buttercup, Blossom, Bubbles, Bunny, and Bell (power puff girls), a hamster Tinkerbell, a hamster Po (teletubbies), a mouse Kipper (kipper the dog), and hermit crabs Pebbles and Bamm Bamm. So for two male rats, I'm thinking Abu and Rajah (Aladdin), but does anyone have other ideas? But if I get girls, I think I'm actually going to stop the whole theme, as I am out of girl characters I like the names of... so if I get girls I am going to have a different theme, musical names. Like, names that are actual names, but mean something musical. I've thought of Harper, Viola, and Piper. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Males are more cuddly.... if they're neutered, which can cost $50 or more per rat depending on where you live. Make sure you have a good exotics vet lined up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've never had females. But I do have two intact males. One is very cuddly, he'll curl up on my chest and I'll pet him and give him scritches, and he will brux and boggle like crazy, not to say he doesn't enjoy exploring, but typically he just likes to chill with dad. My other boy is more active, he loves to explore and investigate everything, but when he's exploring he'll scuttle back to me every few minutes, maybe to check that I'm still there, not really sure, but sometimes he just wants to cuddle with dad.
Just like humans, animals don't always fit into gender binaries, some male rats might be hyper and crazy like how people usually describe females, and some females might just be lazy like a typical male rat.
As for names, I really like the name Piper for a female rat, it's cute. You could do musical type names for males too, like Gibson or Beethoven. Lute might be a cute name too, at least I think it is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rattenstein- I really like Piper too. I think that one is definite. I like viola, but I also like the suggestion lyric. I'm still not sure gender wise. I think I would prefer the personality of female rats more, but sometimes I would want them to cuddle. And also I don't want to lose another rat to cancer like I did a long time ago with my female rat. Are boys really that lazy though? Like to the point where they won't really use the climbing toys in their cage much? I just bought a bunch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love the names! Yes, I agree boys are more cuddly. I have 5 intact males. 3 are super cuddlers, 2 are more shy. Now, thats not to say they dont get hyper and want to run around sometimes too! And Ive came across very sweet and cuddly girls. It's really just dependent on the particular rat, but males TEND to be more cuddly.
For girls, I also like Melody, Rhythm, and Lennon. (lol) For characters, do you like Harry Potter? hahaha, good names in that series!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Perhaps lazy isn't the right word, 'calm' maybe? My boys certainly love to climb around in their cage, and wrestle and play with each other. They get all excited and run to the door when I come near the cage, especially if I have something tasty.
If you're worried about cancer in females you can get them spayed and that is supposed to help. It will also stop them from going crazy in heat every few days lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't afford to spay them, otherwise I would. I think I'm going to end up getting girls, but I guess I'll just see which rats I fall in love with. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
For girls, maybe Flora and Fauna? I just got three boys that we went the Adventure Time route with - Beemo, Finn and Jake. Are you a fan of classic cartoons maybe? Rikki Tikki? Or if you stray from musicals for girls, any book characters?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't blame you. I can't afford to spay or neuter right now either, I'd rather save my rat fund for more important things, like URI's or emergencies. I thought about getting girls, because I thought certain male rat parts were gross, but I don't really notice now lol. I just couldn't leave those little mouse sized guys there when they curled up in the palm of my hand together and looked at me like they had known me forever.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another question gender wise- are either easier to train? And I'm more into slightly more modern cartoons, like ones I would watch growing up. (I'm pretty young) I wasn't thinking about book characters, but I have had two cats named Tailchaser and Pouncequick (from Tailchaser's song).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Female music names--I like Melody and Harmony. Ebony and Ivory, if they are black and white. Allegra, Piccolo (or Piccola for a girl!), Piper is awesome...Tympani, Belle (Bell!)....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lute is a cute name. I have 5 girls but I think When they're gone I might want males. But I think they're supposedly smellier. I have 1 girl nicknamed potato cause she's big and looks like one but she's my baby and is super snugly. I think she's more like a typical male. 1 girl who is just pretty....plain. very distant. 3 active girls 2 very cuddly, 1 would rather explore

·
Registered
153 Posts
The general consensus is that females are easier to train, boys can be trained too but girls take to it better.
What cartoons are you into then? Ren and Stimpy might be fun names for males. Of course, rats don't care what you name them, you could name a male Moonbeam Flowerchild and he wouldn't care, or a female Buck Manlee or something lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts