Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told from my vet that she would charge $40 for a office visit to see My boy first to make sure he is healthy, and then she would charge $150 to neuter the rat, so total of $190.
I am new to the whole idea of neutering and spaying your rats, so I was seeing if this is a decent price.
How much are you usually charged for neuters? and spays?
Also do you recommend glue or staples?
My vet has never done a neuter or spay but has done rat surgeries for tumors, she is def into reading and researching into what has to be done, and is soo sweet.
I heard that they should be gassed before the surgery and not by injection, and also they should have a heating pad? Any other things I should bring up to her?
Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Fisrt things first, if she has never done a neuter before then I'd be looking into finding another vet that HAS done them before.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Get another vet.
The average price here is around £50 ($100) Thats what I paid and I got 3 post op visits for free. I pay £12 for a consult ($24)

I should say thats what I paid for s Spay, not a neuter, it was a tiny bit cheaper for a neuter

·
Registered
500 Posts
My vet charges $79 for a spay, slightly less for a neuter, with no office visit charge (it's included in the fee). I have found cheaper than this, but she's experienced with the procedure on rats, so I would rather pay the extra $20. :D Her office visit fees for anything else are $20. So, you may be able to get cheaper, but for the Chicago area I would say that's very reasonable.

However...I had to decide against one vet who charged less, because he said he had never done the surgery on a rat, just a rabbit. He was really honest about it, and when I told him I would be more comfortable with a vet who had experience, he agreed, and almost seemed relieved. So on that one, I very strongly agree with Emster.

I think injection only provides local anaesthesia, so if this is the case I would definitely say don't go that route. Could be wrong, but I would make sure...

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts