Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get two rats neutered in the near future. I found that the veterinary clinic closest to us does it for $50, which is an affordable price for me.. but should there be any concerns with how low it is? The doctor did mention the risk with the anesthetics, which is good, but I worry about the price could be so low because they might view rats as more disposable than a cat or a dog. :/ The place itself is pretty nice; clean and organized, not too big or too small, and they're friendly. They work with cats and dogs well, and they're where we go with the rest of our pets.. but obviously, a rat is a whole lot different from a cat or a dog.
I basically need to know any concerns and questions I should raise with the vet.. I've been doing research these last couple of days, but I want to make sure I don't miss anything. I've never had my rat go to this vet before, so what are some things I should ask him for starters? What about the operation? Would it be rude or invasive to ask how much experience he's had with rats, and the mortality rate of this kind of operation? Also, I read there are two kinds of operations you can do with a neuter.. one less invasive and going through the scrotum, versus the other working kind of like a spay, from what I understood. The source said the latter was better - any input on that? I always personally thought that the first was better, but I've never had any experience with having a rat neutered.
Another concern for me is the anesthetic and analgesia.. I read that analgesia should be used only after operation, if it's used at all. Should I ask the vet about this to make sure he knows? Is there anything else on the topic I should ask him about?

:< Emily's rat Zizzle ended up sneaking some alone time with Zuzu in the middle of the night, so my plan is to keep one of her boys from the litter and get him neutered to keep with Alice and Zap at my house... and get Damian neutered to stay with Emily, in the FN 142 she's getting (lucky girl, she is). He'll stay with Zizzle and one of the girls form her litter on the top portion of the cage, and three boys from the litter will stay at the bottom.

But enough on living arrangements. I'll probably post something about that in the housing subforum. It's just reference for one of my questions as to how long we need to wait before we can put the neutered boys in with girls. I've read anything between one to five weeks. :/ Any reference on that?

Oh, and for further reference, Damian is about eight months old. I'm getting him neutered because he's really badly aggressive.. hopefully it's mostly testosterone related instead of genetic, urgh. But would there be any problems with his age in terms of how the neuter might go, or how it might affect him?
As for the boy from the litter, I've read the best time to have them neutered is eight weeks? Anybody know if that's true or not?

Yeah.. sorry that's so long. I think that's all the questions I have. Otherwise, some advice on how to care for them after the surgery might be good to have.
Thanks a whole bunch, in advance :<

·
Registered
321 Posts
If your ratties are healthy then a spay or neuter shouldn't affect them
And DO NOT be afraid to ask your vet how much experience he has had with rats! He is a professional and should know that people worry about their pets in the hands of people they don't know very well.
I'm not going to lie but I don't know a lot about spaying and neutering, but any questions or concerns you should be able to bring up with your vet.

Here's probably one of your best places to look for information. Written by Debbie The Rat Lady =)
http://www.ratfanclub.org/surgery.html
Check it out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts