Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son & I purchased 2 great females (Tina & Tanya) a couple of weeks ago and we have used the forums as a great source of information. Thanks!

Our question, is, Tonya is obviously the less timid and dominant one of the two. When we are playing with them Tonya will "mount" Tina and urinate on her lower back or tail. Is this a dominance game? Any way to dissuade her from doing this?

Thanks!

Here is a photo of them the day after we got them:

--Clay

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i was watching my girls the other day, when i noticed nimbus doing the exact same thing. she looked like a little dog cocking her back leg and marking all the other girls. i'm sure they all do it, but thats the first time i'd actually seen one of them in the act. its just a dominance thing, but little does nimbus know, she's not the boss of the cage, lol... its meggsy & loco.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've only seen Addo do it to Ed once, which was funny and gross at the same time. It's lessened now, it was just in the first month or so that they were together!

Very sweet rats by the way!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies everyone, good to know this isn't something unusual. ;)

This morning when I went in to my son's room, they were in their hammock, but this time their roles were changed and Tina was laying on top of Tanya, but they were just chillin. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
it is normal & not something you will change about their behavior

I take it they haven;t "perfumed" you yet??

The urine isn't so much as a dominance thing as it is a social thing. Rats depend on their sense of smell. It helps them identify their family members & it helps them identify what is home & home turf.

So what is the easiest way to mark out familiarity for a rat? Dribble where you go & on everyone you know!

Think about ants... they too use scent trails to communicate with each other. How else do you think they know to all walk in that straight line from home to the dead bug on the sidewalk or from home to the cookie crumbs you dropped on the kitchen floor.

Be prepared... your rats are going to pee on you &they may even get away with it & you not even know about it. I have long hair & wear mine in a ponytail a lot of the time. I can't tell you how many times I've bent over to get something after I had one out shoulder surfing for s bit & have my ponytail smack me in the face with the unmistakable smell of "Ode' De Rat Pew"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts