Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, this is my first time posting.

We have two male rats aged around 16 months old - Peanut and Chippy. Since we had them from around 14 months old, they’ve always been quite unsociable. In fairness they haven’t spent enough time outside of their cage which probably hasn’t helped.

Early on Chippy (our brown one) was the cheeky chappy of the two and I’d say the more dominant. This did however change later. Peanut (our grey one) seemed to become more dominant and he’s the greedy one that has always eaten everything leading to him being the larger of the two.

In recent months Chippy has been quite withdrawn and doesn’t really spend much time away from his hammock. He also refuses food and drink and generally seems very cautious and removed in life.

He seems to squeak a lot and I don’t think it’s in a good way - like he’s often stressed. I have recorded some noises this morning and wanted to share to see if anyone could share their thoughts on what it might be. It’s three minutes long but he was constantly making noises in different ways

We’re aware that rats have quite a short life span and tend to suffer with respiratory issues.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone can give 👍🏻

·
Registered
Harald Fairhair & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Karma
61 Posts
You need to let them out of their cage to play and socialize them more. I would try to get them out of the cage for some play time and take them to a vet. He/She can do an exam on them to see if there is anything wrong. But they will tell you the same. They need some outside time atleast.

·
Registered
765 Posts
That is happy hiccuping a noise rats make when they are feeling so happy they get emotional over It but underneath there seems to be rapid and noisy breathing going on too.He doesn’t look sick but a vet check up would be a good idea to make sure nothing is amiss.Rats have a tendency to mask illness.

·
Registered
Harald Fairhair & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Karma
61 Posts
That is happy hiccuping a noise rats make when they are feeling so happy they get emotional over It but underneath there seems to be rapid and noisy breathing going on too.He doesn’t look sick but a vet check up would be a good idea to make sure nothing is amiss.Rats have a tendency to mask illness.
Poor socialization could also cause health problems. lol They need to come out and get some exercise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts