Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My rat, Cookie, isn't eating. I give both of my rats a blueberry each day (I read that it extends there life 6 months if you do this,) and they usually take it right out of my hand, Mischief took hers, but when I tried to give Cookie hers, she completely ignored it. I left it by her, just in case, but I'm pretty sure Mischief took it. I haven't been seeing her eat lately either, so I am pretty concerned.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just today, maybe a little of yesterday, but I'm not too sure, Yesterday morning she ate a blueberry though.

I just got her 4 days ago, if that helps at all.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
and her droppings are green, smell horrible, are about the size of a guinea pig dropping (maybe a little longer), and it has a really weird texture, like a granola bar, I wasn't sure if this would help either... her droppings have been like this since day 1.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feed her Kaytee brand Healthy Support Diet (with DHA, Omega-3 & Probiotics), for rats, hamsters, and mice. I asked the people at the petstore what they reccomended, and they told me that I should buy this, It's what they were fed when they were in the petstore.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I used to feed Kayteee too, but I did some research and it's really just crap :/ I recommend Oxbow Regal Rat. A bad diet can affect smell and poops

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I actually was going to use Regal Rat, I even bought it, but when I read the back of it, it said not intended for growing rats, and from nose to tip of the tail, they are about 8 inches, so i think they are growing still. That's why I returned it and bought Kaytee.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I think you can supplement for younger rats and still use RR, you just need an additional protein source. Oxbow also makes a Young Rat and Mouse one

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks!!!

But why do you think she isn't eating/drinking? just a minute ago i went to check on Cookie, and she was breathing really weird, like, wheezing, and making quiet squeaking noise with each wheeze.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The poops are probably due to food change or the introduction of fruit into their diet (since I guarantee they never had fruit or veggies at the store they came from), some handle food change better than others. Get the oxbow and mix it into their food slowly (they might just pick out what they like regardless) so as not to shock them with a food change, there are instructions on how to do this on the bag I believe or on the drs foster and smith website. Keep an eye on her water consumption as that might be your indication that something more severe is wrong. I hope everything goes well and she bounces back quickly!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts