Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just introduced myself this morning, we have 3 female rats, one is 4 months old and the other two are 6 week old babies that we got last week. My question is about odor. Our older female is very clean and smells terrific, almost fruity, and always has. Our babies, though, smell AWFUL. When I first brought them home, I thought I smelled marijuana on them, it was so obscene and I assumed that the breeder smoked it around them. It was in their fur and their cage and their poop reeked of it. I tried bathing one baby but it made no difference. And now, a week later, the smell is still present and I am no longer sure that my first judgment was correct. They were raised on Mazuri lab blocks...could this be the cause of their horrible odor? My older female eats mostly fresh/whole foods (organic veggies/fruits, bits of our meals, chicken, scrambled egg, etc.). She eats 1 Oxbow Young Rat lab block every day or so. And for whatever it's worth, my adult rat is litter box trained, the babies are mostly trained already (surprisingly) so while I am washing fleece blankets daily because of the smell, they aren't "going" all over them anymore. Please help, this smell is just too much. If it's just food, I'll gladly change it. I appreciate any thoughts!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts