Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I gave away one of my baby rats yesterday to my friend. He got a second hand parrot cage and all. He put him in there but he didn't notice there was a loose bar and well... Snack (the rat) sneaked out...

He put a food bowl and water in multiple rooms to see in which one there's gonna be stuff missing, and then try to find him.

You guys have any tips on how to find a missing 1 month and a half (but very big) baby rat?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hoping he's still in the house! I know my boys would soon show themselves if there was oatmeal or mashed banana on offer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snack is (ironically) a picky eater.. :/ when I had him the only treat he would accept was popcorn.. sometimes :<

·
Registered
870 Posts
Peanuts, peanut butter spread on a spoon, wee bits of Snickers bar or Reese's snack size or, of course, popcorn. A live animal trap may help. Some shelters, rescues, animal control offices sometimes will loan you one depending on local offices. If you use a live animal trap and it works be aware the snap of the trap will freak him out. Wait a while for him to calm down, go to a bathroom or other small safe place to recover him from the trap. If the parrot cage is now escape proof or you have another cage he knows to try to trap him in, I rigged one up for an escapee with a string attached to the door and sat quietly in a dark room waiting for him to appear. When he entered the cage, I closed the door on him.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'd put his cage on the floor with something familier smelling (bedding) in, cover it with a towel and leave the door open. Add some tasty food and leave it. Most rats will come back to a place they feel safe and at home. You want it in the room he went missing in and against a wall or similar so he can get in without crossing the open floor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! Snack has been found. The poor little guy was scared and hiding in a closet, so scared he didn't move when my freind carefully emptied it to find him. The next day he climbed up his arm so he seems to be fine :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm happy you found him! My girls are in a bird cage rn and let me tell you, MaryJane (one of my girls) is a little escape artist! To keep her from getting out I need to put zip ties on the doors. She gets out sometimes though and I've learned it's easiest to leave food either close to the cage, or in the middle of the room. I've heard it takes rats twenty minutes to get used to a new envirment, so if he gets out again, he shouldn't be too far away!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts