Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat always had absesses Also, she would get lumps on her stomach. She had them her whole life and often they would come and go.
Recently her stomach started expanding and she looked pregnant. I didn't take her to the vet because I thought she was. She started expanding to the point she could not walk and loosing all her body fat. She was a complete skeleton, you could see her spine and her neck bones and her face was bony. I could not afford to take care of her, I make very little money and have human medical bills that are insane and can hardly afford them. She lost her ability to walk, went blind, and passed away today while I was at work. From the time it started to look concerning to her death was only about 3 days. She had one cage mate. Also a female. And that female has a very similar lump on her chest now. That she did not have before. What is going on ?? Does anyone know anything about this? When the other rat passed, by the time I got home she was almost purple all over her stomach and obviously very cold. I DO not want to repeat what happened with her, I loved her so much. I am thinking about taking out a loan. I am heavily in debt and first wanted to see if I could get some guidance or experience from someone on here.

·
Super Moderator
115 Posts
Ouch thats so sad. Sometimes theres nothing you can do and you just have to get them put out of their misery. Unfortunately these things happen, you should always budget for your pets healthcare before getting pets. It's probably a mammary tumour, fairly common in females. They will need seeing by a vet and possibly surgery. Only a professional can advise you on this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts