Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi recently my rat died and I don't really have anyone to talk to. I have one rat left she is about a year 1/2 and I'm not sure what to do. My rat that's left has seizures and I don't know how stressful getting a new one will be. The pain of losing a rat has been unbearable. Does anyone have any advice? I do not plan on continuing to have rats as pets but I do not want to give up my last rat.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi recently my rat died and I don't really have anyone to talk to. I have one rat left she is about a year 1/2 and I'm not sure what to do. My rat that's left has seizures and I don't know how stressful getting a new one will be. The pain of losing a rat has been unbearable. Does anyone have any advice? I do not plan on continuing to have rats as pets but I do not want to give up my last rat.

I am so sorry for your loss. It's really hard to lose a beloved pet.

I would say reach out to some local rescues and see if they have any rats that are close to her age - so she's not more stressed out by having a younger (possibly more energetic) cage-mate.
If you introduce them slowly, it should help minimize the stress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for a response. I'm sorry I meant to put 1 1/2. I've contacted some shelters there's seems to be no rats near.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thank you so much for a response. I'm sorry I meant to put 1 1/2. I've contacted some shelters there's seems to be no rats near.
Try searching for "rodent rescues". They're more likely to have what you need than the run of the mill animal shelter.
I should have mentioned checking Craigslist, as well. Sometimes, people need to re-home their rats.
Short of that - I guess you could keep your rat as a solitary rat - but it's not really fair to her, either. I mean besides finding an older rat to possibly keep her company, I don't see many alternatives if you don't want to continue with rats, but don't want to give this one up. I understand it. I just don't know another way around it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try searching for "rodent rescues". They're more likely to have what you need than the run of the mill animal shelter.
I should have mentioned checking Craigslist, as well. Sometimes, people need to re-home their rats.
Short of that - I guess you could keep your rat as a solitary rat - but it's not really fair to her, either. I mean besides finding an older rat to possibly keep her company, I don't see many alternatives if you don't want to continue with rats, but don't want to give this one up. I understand it. I just don't know another way around it.
Craigeslist is a good idea! I'll make sure to look. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
Join the RatsRatsRats Discord Server! join here if you need someone to talk to

I was heart broken when I lost my first rat, and even more heart broken when I lost the second. I still cry about it sometimes and i'm a 30 year old male!
If you still want to own rats, you could get another pair/trio, you will need to house them seperately for a while for quarantine and introductions, then you will be able to introduce them via bathtub method (read up on introductions first)

Rats do need companions and I did this with my old boy before he passed and he warmed up to the youngsters quickly it was very sweet xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Join the RatsRatsRats Discord Server! join here if you need someone to talk to

I was heart broken when I lost my first rat, and even more heart broken when I lose the second. I still cry about it sometimes and i'm a 30 year old male!
If you still want to own rats, you could get another pair/trio, you will need to house them seperately for a while for quarantine and introductions, then you will be able to introduce them via bathtub method (read up on introductions first)

Rats do need companions and I did this with my old boy before he passed and he warmed up to the youngsters quickly it was very sweet xx
Thank you so much for the advice! This was my first pair and I was particularly close to the one who died. I've search around and there are no rats near that would be compatible with her yet. I'll continue moderating her she seems to be her usual self she has slept more so I think that's part of her mourning. I've been getting her out with me as much as possible and taking her to places with me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts