Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My partner has a lovely rat about 8 months old, which she often lets roam around the house. It is pleasant with everyone and is happy to be handled.

Only problem is it tends to pee on me, and only me. It also gives me the odd nip, which I think is mainly playful as they don't hurt, but it doesn't seem to do this to anyone else.

Any reason for this and can it be stopped?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Of our 2 male rats, Boris & Will, Will is dad's rat and Boris is mom's rat. Boris will give me the occasional gentle bite. Almost feels like a tease or playful challenge. Both will do short whiz trails here & there, so I don't wear a tux. Or does this one really hose you down?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Tiny pee drops are often used to scent mark, making something 'theirs'. So if that's what's happening, it means she wants you to smell like her.

As for the nips, if it's your feet many rats go after socks and toes for some reason. If it's elsewhere she may be tasting you to see if you're food, or grooming you like she would a cagemate. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have noticed that the rats will find every skin abrasion, every callous, every uneven cuticle or hang nail & attempt to clean it up for you.

Just beware of the shirt divers that may attempt to remove raised flesh that is supposed to be there. OUCH!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts