Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At what age does a rat's penis stop growing? I understand they're ready to reproduce at 6 weeks old, but that's certainly not the end of growth, isn't it? The body grows up to 8 months probably with the penis?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I read some rat studies done on their penises while they were 9 weeks old, but I thought it was too early, because they aren't fully developed by that time. At least they're bodies aren't, right? They get substantially bigger after 9 weeks of age? 9-week-old rat may be able to reproduce, but he isn't as adult as a 18-year-old man, I am thinking. A 18-year-old man, though, has probably already reached his full height.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm just kind of curious here... Why do you want to know? ._.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The penis stops growing by the end of puberty (sexual maturation) which would more than likely be done by 9 weeks of age from what I have read.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
But the body continues to grow after that, right? So the relation between penis and body gets smaller with age?

http://www.asiaandro.com/archive/1008-682x/5/33.htm -- I'm mainly interested in this study. They started treating 6-week-olds with an antiandrogen which a human wouldn't ever take before the age 18. So I perhaps the results of this study aren't comparable with humans. What do you think of 6-week-olds?
A 13-year-old human may be able to ejaculate and ovulate and thus reproduce, but that doesn't mean that's the end of puberty and development.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
well they say that 5-6 weeks is when male rats reach full sexual maturity. So I would think that would actually be all that would matter, not penis size at all.

but honestly we are all rat pet lover's not research scientists.... Im not sure how anyone here is going to be able to help u on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But the body continues to grow after that, right? So the relation between penis and body gets smaller with age?

http://www.asiaandro.com/archive/1008-682x/5/33.htm -- I'm mainly interested in this study. They started treating 6-week-olds with an antiandrogen which a human wouldn't ever take before the age 18. So I perhaps the results of this study aren't comparable with humans. What do you think of 6-week-olds?
A 13-year-old human may be able to ejaculate and ovulate and thus reproduce, but that doesn't mean that's the end of puberty and development.
9-week-olds I meant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well they say that 5-6 weeks is when male rats reach full sexual maturity. So I would think that would actually be all that would matter, not penis size at all.

but honestly we are all rat pet lover's not research scientists.... Im not sure how anyone here is going to be able to help u on that.
I know, but I'm asking precisely about penis size, not reproductivity. Isn't there any visible growth then?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well the study you are interested in is just looking into the effects of castration on the tissue structure of the penis. I don't understand why you are thinking the size would effect the results. Nor can I understand why you relate it to humans because we don't get castrated. ;D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's also looking at the effect of the drug finasteride that all the world uses to combat male pattern baldness and concludes that it alters the the structure of the organ. But it's not given to men at the age when the penis is still growing (below 18 ), so you shouldn't also study rats in such young age, if you want to compare.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Did your penis shrink while using it?

Idk what you are looking for here...you should talk to people who run labs. Pet owners are not going to have a clue.
Rats are very small I highly doubt any of us notice the micro measurement of growth in our boys penis. Plus they are gentlemen and keep it tucked away so its not like we really get to see it often if at all.

maybe try asking on one of the subs here: https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/wiki/subreddit_links

1 - 15 of 15 Posts