Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 young male rats I got a few weeks back. A little less then a week ago I got them new food "OXBOW Regal Rat Adult Rat Food" And know one or all of my rats have poo the same color as the food, and very soft (not diarria ) It's also pretty smelly. Is it because its "Adult" rat food? They are still young ( cant remember exactly though ) Are they okay is this serious?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am going through such change now with two 10-week olds. A couple of weeks ago I noticed their poop started to be less smelly after I added some veggies and other "house" items to their diet. Before that they had had only blocks of Oxbow. It seems to me that this dry feed produced more smelly poop. But what is more they underwent neuter, and maybe that also changed something, and it definitely changed their body odor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you switch them over to their new food gradually, or was it a cold switch? Their digestive tracts may just be acclimating to their new diet still. Before assuming it will be a long-term change, I'd wait a bit to see if their poop more or less "normalizes" again once their bodies have had more time to get used to the new food. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah it was a cold switch. I didn't think much of it because oxbow is apparently one of the best. But know that I think of it it was a bad of me to just do that aaah. Thank you I didn't think of that before

·
Registered
270 Posts
Secretshrew, just remember that some veggies will make their poo stink even more. :) I give them lots of cucumber which they like and which is mostly water, and also cauliflower and small quantities of avocado (because fatty). Other than that two fruits - blueberries and watermelon - are frequent treats. It seems to me they smell better now. But I wonder how much does individual rat's microbiome has to do? How much their gut bacteria contribute? It may well be that what works for one's gut, does not for another, just like with humans' gut flora.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Has anyone ever fed oysters to their rats? I read that they are good for them, but the smell? Obviously I don't mean smoked or raw. They sell them as "boiled".

·
Registered
270 Posts
I fed them once or twice smoked oysters from a can. They liked it. I did not notice it affected the smell of rats poop or pee in any unusual way. They like fish too, especially smoked salmon. My rats are fancy indeed. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts