Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a female rat and she is pregnant. As of right now she is still in quarantine so she in in a second cage already.

The cage is a two level, However I heard one level cages are best? Since she was just brought into my home, If I were to move her to a single level I would like to wait until after the babies are born and I need to clean the current cage. I don't want to move her right away, She has already made a nest and I feel it would stress her out to move her.
What are the opinions on waiting until a few days after the babies are born? or should I just leave her in the large cage? I could also remove the platforms in the current cage to make it a single level.

I really want her to be comfortable and have an easy time birthing. I've looked up as much info as I can online but this specific question was not answered. I'm not sure what is best, she is stressed enough as it is.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This has only happened to me once so I don't know about other rats and what they're like, but in my experience the rat doesn't really get attached to the nest, as long as you give her a bunch of bedding to make a new one she shouldn't really get stressed. They're really more determined than stressed out, she'll rearrange her nest anyways. Also, make sure to give tons of nutrients and water to your rat so she can stay healthy and produce milk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I got home for my lunch break and she has had the babies. Everything seems to be going fine, I'm waiting until after work to take a peek at them so she has time to herself for a bit. Thank you for the fast response!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts