Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new here, but just a question. Just today I got a rat. She's a large brown/white spotted rat, and her name is Fritzie. And yes, I know they say not to have just one rat, but the pet store I got her at said she was an oddball and didn't do well with other rats, but she is friendly with humans, and that much has showed. She's also my first pet rat, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I've been socializing with her since she calmed down after being put in her cage, I've introduced her toys and chews to her, and playing with her a little bit each time. Letting her climb around my hand a little as well. However, every time I try to leave, whether to throw out toy wrappers or if I need to tend to some business, she goes to where her dishes are and starts nudging her bedding around. This wouldn't be too much of a concern because I've seen her burrow in her bedding when I first put her in the cage, and she did make a mound of it to burrow into, but she's pushing it into her food and water dishes, and she only seems to do it when I'm there with her, watching her or in a position where I can still see her. Should I be concerned, or is she just trying to get my attention?

Registered
Welcome 馃槉 personally, I would always be cautious of what a pet store tells you as they usually just want the sale - speaking from experience. See how you get on with her but I would consider getting her a cage mate (especially whilst she is still young as intros tend to be easier). Of course that鈥檚 up to you though! So long as you continue to give her plenty of attention as rats are very social creatures.

She is probably still adjusting to her new enclosure & making it her own. Potentially wanting to cover where the food is to hide it as she doesn鈥檛 yet know there is no one else to take it? Try getting a water bottle too as this can鈥檛 be knocked over & the bedding won鈥檛 soak it up if she carries on trying to cover her bowls. Rats are smart & very quickly know how to use the bottles. I hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts